Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex or smittybilt HD tire carriers (non swing out)

Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex or smittybilt HD tire carriers (non swing out)

How much weight is everyone putting on these gate mounted carriers? I have a swing out that I'm able to mount the tire and a best top saddle bag. I want to get one of these mounts but not sure if I will overload the 130 lb weight limit. I figure tire 67 plus 27 for the wheel. Then camp chairs and 2 gallon of water plus the clothes in my saddle bags. Maybe a 17 lb tent.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I don't know of any specific weight limits but the TF carrier is designed to carry a 37in tire and additionally has attachment points for additional accessories that can be mounted to it, such as a Hi-Lift and roto pax for water and/or gas.

Seems well within reason limits of the weights you described.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

MorRyde hinges with the accessories (equivalent of the TF) and I haven't had issues putting weight on it. I stuck a 37*13.5" tire on there for a month and didn't notice an ounce of sound.

Jeff, the guy who designed the hinges, has since created a rack to add more gear to the tire. There's a video where he climbs right on up- calls it the gorilla test.

You can take any manufacturer's word on weight but in my experience, I wouldn't expect the smitty to perform at the same level as something like the MorRyde, the TF, the MetalCloak simply due to build quality. It's a decent product for the first few months then you get used to the noise. I've had my hinges and weight there without any difference since the day I installed them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_111551.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	667304

Last edited by karls10jk; 02-26-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by templer
Thanks for the info!
We swapped out our Bumper mounted tire swing out for a Teraflex hinge and it was the best decision we ever made. We highly recommend it. If you decide to go that route, give us a shout and I would be happy to get you pricing. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I have the TF adjustable carrier and it is rock steady - very happy with it.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Teraflex. It is my favorite mod to this point. Love it.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smitty Hinge

I have the Smitty Pivot Hinge and have a heavy 96 LBS wheel combo with tire Gas/Water putting it over 100 LBS on the hinge and I'v gone down bumpy ass trails, Ledges and Raced over the speed bumps at the Mall. No problems what so ever.

My buddy has a TeraFlex Hinge and we compared them... The Smitty pretty much a rip off of the TF hinge and the finish is a lot nicer on the TF but where they differ is the actual carrier part we found that the Smitty was more adjustable but adjusting it was more of a pain in the ass then the TF so to me its a toss up.

Also the 3rd light relocation is better on the TF vs extending the light over the top. Both have brackets for Jacks and fuel. I just like that the price is way lower than TF and your getting almost the same thing. (I did not use their bracket)

I know your going to have TF fanboys and I do love their products (I have TF Adjustable Fox shocks with Reservoirs) so I decided to spend the money there instead of on the hinge. But to me the price did not match what you get.

Take a Look at both in person if you can and decide whats best for your needs.

Here is a Picture of my Setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	After4Washes.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	667500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	667501  

Quick Reply: Teraflex or smittybilt HD tire carriers (non swing out)