Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex short arm lifts...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by membrain
On a side note, I noticed my passenger side CA lower zerk fitting broke off. It appears that a recent flex caused the zerk fitting to come into contact with a section of metal hood at the attachment point on the axle. The instructions said to install with the fittings on the top. The driver side zerk fitting comes close to making contact. And yes, I did make sure the fittings were tight during installation.

I guess I'll remove whats left of the zerk fitting with an easy-out and just plug the hole... I'll have to remove the existing plug and temporarily install a fitting when I next service the joints.

...mebbe I need to cut or grind a notch into those hooded sections...
I dont think you would have to cut them, Im running the same lift only the 3 inch. Take some pics, maybe you have something backwards.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryanc
I dont think you would have to cut them, Im running the same lift only the 3 inch. Take some pics, maybe you have something backwards.
lmao... that would suck if I had them on backwards...

Ok, one end has the greaseable flex-joint fittings while the other has the rubber bushings... which end is SUPPOSED to attach at the axle?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi

lmao... that would suck if I had them on backwards...

Ok, one end has the greaseable flex-joint fittings while the other has the rubber bushings... which end is SUPPOSED to attach at the axle?
the rubber bushing is frame side. flex joint in the axle mount. i have the same arms... well just the lowers.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

whew... had me worried for a moment there... yup, mine are installed correctly!

I don't know if it is a manufacturing difference between year models or what, but as I said, my zerk fittings are hitting on the passenger side and close to hitting on the driver side lowers.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi

whew... had me worried for a moment there... yup, mine are installed correctly!

I don't know if it is a manufacturing difference between year models or what, but as I said, my zerk fittings are hitting on the passenger side and close to hitting on the driver side lowers.
Yea Mine are close too. I think I will notch mine a lil because u can't grease them either even with a slide on grease end.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a 4" kit your caster should be in the 3 degree range. 7 degrees is way too much and 8-9 .

On cutting the arms: it was some of the rear uppers that had to be cut.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you are getting caster measured the correct way. Using an angle finder tells you nothing about caster, at least not in this specific instance. Caster is multi- dimensionally, you need to put it on an alignment rack.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Yea Mine are close too. I think I will notch mine a lil because u can't grease them either even with a slide on grease end.
ok, so I'm not the only one with this issue.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Make sure you are getting caster measured the correct way. Using an angle finder tells you nothing about caster, at least not in this specific instance. Caster is multi- dimensionally, you need to put it on an alignment rack.
Yes, you are correct. I need to get a professional alignment... but I sure am having fun messing with it myself. I figure that if I can get it where it drives the way it did (or even as compared to my wife's since hers is still stock) I ought to be very close to the correct caster.

I just quote the value I'm reading and referencing it as needed. What I say I'm measuring as 7-9 may actually be 4-6 on a rack. My garage floor may be sloped but I haven't subtracted it's slope value either.

The dealer quoted me $179 for a front end alignment...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cheap angle finder put me within 1 degree of my castor on an alinement machine, just sayin... you can get it close.

Quick Reply: Teraflex short arm lifts...