Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex - shocks or just the adaptors?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I ran the BB with the adapters on stock rubi tires, then on 35's never felt any different for me. I then went with a fully custom 4 inch lift by me.
I may have noticed it more because I have a 2dr, the shorter wheel base is a lot more responsive to the good and the bad.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
Haha yeah, I know it's gunna look a little odd with the stock setup. I have the optional package with the 17" rims, so it won't look quite so goofy. Anywho, I have decided on the Eagle series 185 rims. I have a Rescue Green and I think the black wheels look way better than chrome on it. Toad's jeep is what mine would look like in a perfect world.

I just bought those wheels. I will get them installed this week. Good choice.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

I would just go with the shock adapters for now. You could always add new shocks later but be careful with the TeraFlex 9550's if you order them later you will need to add the TeraFlex coil spacers/retainers (which will not come in your kit if you get the shock adapters) since those shocks are 3" longer (extended length) than most other brands for a 2.5" kit. If you order the kit with the new 9550 shocks...the coil spacers/retainers will be in the kit as well to keep the rear coils in tact during full extension.

Also - to answer your other question you mentioned you don't plan on doing any hard off-roading but if you do with stock wheels/tires your rear tires will rub the sway bar at full extension due to the longer rear sway bar links and longer shocks (or extensions). You can add wheels spacers to get around this until you buy new wheels with 4.5" backspacing or less.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Do you have the "Heavy Duty Suspension?"

If so, you can probably just get the adapters, otherwise get the shocks.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good input here for you. So did you decide yet?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just going to get the shocks... What's 120 bucks really. Then I know I'm good. Thanks for all the input! Next paycheck and I'll be ordering
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Lots of good input here for you. So did you decide yet?
Hey TF, when I get longer shocks I will going with your hydros. I saw a post somewhere where you had mentioned the extended and compressed lenghts. I need somewhere areound 30-31 extended and 18 compressed. That would give me huge flex over my current 27 inch X 17 inch full traction shocks.

Do you have a chart, table, or the like?

SOrry for the off topic.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smuhhh
I'm just going to get the shocks... What's 120 bucks really. Then I know I'm good. Thanks for all the input! Next paycheck and I'll be ordering
I would be getting the extensions. They'll work great for now. Why buy new shocks - you might eventually get a bigger lift. Those shocks will be useless. I've got the Full Traction 2" BB with the Teraflex shock extensions. Mine rides great - but I did need to get longer sway bar links. Make sure your lift comes with longer sway bar links or Disconnects. I got the Teraflex ones.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by britjk
I would be getting the extensions. They'll work great for now. Why buy new shocks - you might eventually get a bigger lift. Those shocks will be useless. I've got the Full Traction 2" BB with the Teraflex shock extensions. Mine rides great - but I did need to get longer sway bar links. Make sure your lift comes with longer sway bar links or Disconnects. I got the Teraflex ones.
The Teraflex kit comes with the longer sway bar links AND the shocks are good to I think up to 6" of list if I remember correctly.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seal20
The Teraflex kit comes with the longer sway bar links AND the shocks are good to I think up to 6" of list if I remember correctly.
Nope, good up to 4"

Quick Reply: Teraflex - shocks or just the adaptors?