Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex rock sliders ????

Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Hey, thanks for the link. I understand now. I new they worked like a rivet, but couldn't figure it out.

Do the holes in the bottom use the same inserts? Any tips for the bottom holes?

Thanks again.
No. The holes in the bottom use the regular bolts.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Can you explain this better? I've got the same problem.

Originally Posted by FuLcRuM
... Everything is bolted up now except 1 bolt, it was cut off after the nutsert started spinning and could not be tightened or removed. We were able to grind it down and push it into the body then install another and properly tighten it the second time...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy
Can you explain this better? I've got the same problem.
Just take a grinder or Dremel and grind off the head of the bolt so you can remove the slider. Once the slider is removed very carefully grind on the nutsert flange that is on the outside of the body. Once it's ground down a bit you should be able to just push it into the rocker. You can't pull it out without bending the body up and since the rocker is filled with foam I doubt it will rattle around or anything in there. Like you'll notice one more rattle anyway.

Then just install a new nutsert and make sure it's good and tight, also NOT cross threading the bolt when installing the guards helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

Thanks. That should be easy enough.

Now on the other side, I broke the drill bit I was using for the pilot hole & it's lodged in (I accidentally lined the hole up with a body seam). I can't drill through the bit because the bit metal is too hard & It just burns up any other bit I try to run through. Any ideas?

Just take a grinder or Dremel and grind off the head of the bolt so you can remove the slider. Once the slider is removed very carefully grind on the nutsert flange that is on the outside of the body. Once it's ground down a bit you should be able to just push it into the rocker. You can't pull it out without bending the body up and since the rocker is filled with foam I doubt it will rattle around or anything in there. Like you'll notice one more rattle anyway.

Then just install a new nutsert and make sure it's good and tight, also NOT cross threading the bolt when installing the guards helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the bolts were all stainless, I'm thinking of replacing them all with allen head cap screws anyway since I think it looks odd with silver screws in a black rocker. If they are stainless I was just gonna buy the one and paint the heads black.
The hardware for the sides are SS. I replaced my hex heads with Torx heads - the head strip out way to easily -and replaced the hex bolts with coated ones for rust resistance. Avoid any black oxide hardaware as it will eventually rust thru - even faster in with salt/snow.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Yeah, everything looks nice, but the instructions do kind of suck.

So, the long bolts seem to be for the bottom of the sliders. But what I am confused about now is that there are 2 holes in the bottom of each slider (4 total), and I only have 2 long screws. There are 10 inserts and 10 screws for them ( 5 along each side of the 2 sliders), and 4 bottom holes (2 on each slider), but I only have 2 long bolts with 2 nuts...shouldn't there be 4 long bolts with 4 nuts???
I got shorted two bolts as well. Didn't feel like waiting for TeraFlex to send me more so I bought a couple more grade 8 bolts and nuts at the hareware store to finish up.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is for all y'all who have been running these for a while...and have 'wheeled em!
How do they hold up? Just how strong are they? Can you use them for a jacking point if need be?

I have finally toasted my side steps and need to get some real protection. I am looking hard at these teraflex since they are lightweight, but I can't find any posts about how tough they really are. Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Teraflex rock sliders ????