Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex rock sliders ????

Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex rock sliders ????

Okay, I PM'd Teraflex but am still waiting for a response, so I thought I'd ask you guys while I wait...

How do you install the nut inserts???

I received the hardware in one of the boxes, and in the bag of nuts and bolts there was a smaller bag with another insert and a "nut" with no inner threading and a screw through it

The directions show installing the inserts with a tool that looks similar to a rivet gun, but I don't really know what to use.

Also, did any of you that have these find that your end caps don't stay in? It seems as though I might need to super glue them in place
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

can't answer your questions but make sure you post some pics when your done! I really want to get a set of these
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

can't answer your questions but make sure you post some pics when your done! I really want to get a set of these
Yep, I will. I was planning on installing them this weekend, but if I don't get this figured out, I might have to wait until next weekend. I am putting on my 1" PA body lift this weekend though, no matter what
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to the company that makes them. Just picture using a ratchet instead of the tool they show in the picture.

- You drill you hole,
- insert the "sert" thingy.
- put the little "sleeve" over the non-stainless hex-head bolt. It should be the only hex-head bolt that screws into the serts.
- Oil the threads of the bolt, then tighten down the bolt "a lot". The "sleeve" holds the "sert" in place so the back side can spread out (like one of those drywall fasteners).

One additional tip... after you have the serts properly installed, thread the bolts int a bit & "square" them up to the body (they tend to be a little angled at first). This will make it much easier to install the bolts while you are holding up the sliders.

http://www.enfasco.com/frame4.htm

Click on the link in my signature to get a very good write-up of how to install them.

Pay attention to where you line-up the holes. One of mine lined-up on a body seam and I broke a bit, which got lodged in the hole & I could not drill through the broken bit. So, I have one less bolt on the right side than the left.

By the way... I love mine. I don't think they're as "hard core" as some of the others, but they protect enough for "mild" wheeling, step keeps the grime off the sides, & and they hide that ugly pinch seam.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Hey, thanks for the link. I understand now. I new they worked like a rivet, but couldn't figure it out.

Do the holes in the bottom use the same inserts? Any tips for the bottom holes?

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If anyone is interested here are the directions by mnjk from his June 2007 post.
Add these to the Teraflex directions and you'll have no problems.

"OK, no guarantees, but I thought the factory instructions were missing a bit.

1. The Tera flex name goes to the front. This allows some seams to clear underneath.

2. Have some help or use a hydraulic lift (that is what the picture shows) to hold the rail in place while the side holes are marked.

3. The tape suggestion that they make is ok, but I did not use any. Take a small center punch or a scribe and make a small indention in the very center of the mark.

4. Start the hole with a very small drill bit, I would suggest a 1/16". Once you have that drilled, use the size they recommend.

5. Use the sert tool to install the serts. Hold the sleeve with a boxed end wrench and use an impact wrench set on low speed and with no more air than 65-70psi. Oil the sert tool with your favorite lube. WD40, motor oil whatever. These serts will start to slightly deform the sheetmetal around them once they are good and tight. If you don't get them tight enough, they could spin when you try to tighten the stainless button head bolts.

6. If you don't oil the sert tool it won't last for 14 holes.

7. If you use a wrench or socket instead of impact, it will work, but is much harder. The impact also keeps it straight.

8. It is not clear in their instructions as to where the lock washers go. The picture I saw of one installed had them on the side bolts. I chose not to put them there for looks. If you agree, you might want to use lock tight on the side bolts.

9. You will need a long drill bit to get through from the bottom, don't try drilling from top and bottom, go buy the longer drill bit.

10. Remove the plastc molding clips (PITA) that hold the molding in so that you can get to the place where you will drill through.

11. Drill holes. Install bolts. Put back molding."
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nutserts

Oil the threads lots and I'd get one or two more of those 1/4" bolts for the insert tool and if there's any resistance change bolts. I'm sure I used 2 or 3 when I put mine on, the threads stretch after a few. There were a few threads on installs last spring.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, everything looks nice, but the instructions do kind of suck.

So, the long bolts seem to be for the bottom of the sliders. But what I am confused about now is that there are 2 holes in the bottom of each slider (4 total), and I only have 2 long screws. There are 10 inserts and 10 screws for them ( 5 along each side of the 2 sliders), and 4 bottom holes (2 on each slider), but I only have 2 long bolts with 2 nuts...shouldn't there be 4 long bolts with 4 nuts???
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

here's a write-up i did for a fab four rocker guard install and there are some pics that should help you out:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...d-rock-sliders

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
Yeah, everything looks nice, but the instructions do kind of suck.

So, the long bolts seem to be for the bottom of the sliders. But what I am confused about now is that there are 2 holes in the bottom of each slider (4 total), and I only have 2 long screws. There are 10 inserts and 10 screws for them ( 5 along each side of the 2 sliders), and 4 bottom holes (2 on each slider), but I only have 2 long bolts with 2 nuts...shouldn't there be 4 long bolts with 4 nuts???

I just installed a set last weekend on our Jeep. I should have gotten on here and looked up the instructions but was at a shop doing the install and didn't have internet.

I had 3 bolts on the bottom of each slider (4 Door) and a total of 6 long bolts that went through the floorboard, so yes you should have gotten 4 long bolts in yours.

We didn't mark then drill, we just held them up and drilled the holes so a couple ended up slightly off, we also did not lube the nutsert tool at all, and the last few were nearly destroyed. Everything is bolted up now except 1 bolt, it was cut off after the nutsert started spinning and could not be tightened or removed. We were able to grind it down and push it into the body then install another and properly tighten it the second time.

I thought the bolts were all stainless, I'm thinking of replacing them all with allen head cap screws anyway since I think it looks odd with silver screws in a black rocker. If they are stainless I was just gonna buy the one and paint the heads black.

I've not had a chance to wheel with them yet but hopefully they will hold up to some abuse, I really like that they are lite weight and fairly functional as a step.

Quick Reply: Teraflex rock sliders ????