Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex prerunner kit without longarms ? I want to do some high speed stuff.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex short arm

Originally Posted by jcole
I was pretty close to buying a new Ford Raptor short cab the other day, but my financial angel on the shoulder got to me and decided to mod my JK-U and save $40,000 or so and get a similar experience.

Is it possible to run the TeraFlex Prerunner kit without the longarms, or possibly go to a long arm setup down the road ? I've been running a 3.5" coil lift with stock arms and have no complaints regarding road manners. Are the speedbumps specific to the prerunner kit different than the standard ones because of the different axle travel path when using long arms ?

Also, would there be a performance hit by running 2.5 or 2" lift instead of a 3" ? Right now I am running 35" tires on stock ride height and loving the low center of gravity. I suppose the lift is where the extra up-travel comes from.

My other upgrades will be the goodyear duratracks, a performance brake kit (not sure which one yet) and either a supercharger/exhaust system or a hemi swap.

Kind of considering the supercharger as the jeep is balanced well right now, a hemi swap would throw a lot of extra weight onto the front.

I ran the jk hard for 100 miles. Short arm kit is plenty. Bumps stops are well worth it as are the fox resi shocks. It bottoms out on the back fenders and rock rails a bit so I'll let that looked at Monday. In general the rear was what bottoms a lot. I had lots of gear in the back though. But overall worked pretty well. Way better in the tight twisty ridgelines and washes than the 4 door raptor. But raptor is better at high speeds over rolling washouts.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmike
Coil over front an rear would be ball park 10-12,000 (depending how many parts you need) according to ORE. Lots of labor and lots of new parts ( arms, steering, drive shafts, etc). 12k buys you a turn key Bronco pre-runner...
$12k is way high. The Evo coilovers are about $1600 front and $3500 rear. I was quoted 1k labor to install. The new soon to be released Evo bolt on coilover kit is supposed to be around $3500 front and rear combined from what I hear. The double throw down is more expensive, but not needed unless you are going 80 mph offroad.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by highoctane
$12k is way high. The Evo coilovers are about $1600 front and $3500 rear. I was quoted 1k labor to install. The new soon to be released Evo bolt on coilover kit is supposed to be around $3500 front and rear combined from what I hear. The double throw down is more expensive, but not needed unless you are going 80 mph offroad.
agreed, those numbers are on the high side and evo now has an entry level bolt on coil over system that will get you going for a fraction of the price. if you really want to do some high speed stuff, nothing beats the evo coil over systems.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default Evo coil over.

If those prices are correct then absolutely go that route. I didn't want to cut and weld do much on a two week old car. But I'll probably convert later. There is no substitute for wheel travel. Regular 3-4" short arm kits only give about 9" of travel. That's not really enough for going fast over big bumps.

But again my car worked pretty darn good on 85% of what I drove it over.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

the new evo entry level bolt on coil over kit requires NO cutting or welding, is super easy to install and again, by comparison to their evo lever DTD setup, costs a fraction of the price. best part about is, this kit offers a true 12" of travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and, in addition to providing excellent flex, it can also eat up the bumps way better then the TF kit. granted, it does still cost more but, you do get what you pay for...

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know much about the coilovers for jeeps. Do they come with a cushy bump stop like the teraflex speed bump ? I assume the price includes the shocks? Why are they better than the teraflex kit ?

Also the 12" of up travel, how high dies the vehicle have to me jacked up to attain that ? The teraflex achieves 8" with a 3" lift. I'm running flat fenders and I was planning on trimming the pinch seem and rock rail. And clearance the front bumper. With the coilovers how much up travel can I get with a mild lift height ?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the new evo entry level bolt on coil over kit requires NO cutting or welding, is super easy to install and again, by comparison to their evo lever DTD setup, costs a fraction of the price. best part about is, this kit offers a true 12" of travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and, in addition to providing excellent flex, it can also eat up the bumps way better then the TF kit. granted, it does still cost more but, you do get what you pay for...

Where is that system on their site?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jcole
I don't know much about the coilovers for jeeps. Do they come with a cushy bump stop like the teraflex speed bump ?
not to burst your bubble but, those "cushy bump stops" that you seem so fond of are little more than foam in a tube and not some kind of high tech air bump like a king or fox air bump. trust me, i've run a set and, while they do kinda work, with a well tuned coil over system, you wouldn't need speed bumps as they would do a much better job of eating up the bumps without them.

I assume the price includes the shocks? Why are they better than the teraflex kit ?
ummm, the coil overs are the shocks and coils all in one. they are better because they come with two different spring rates, are valved to eat up bumps and provide significantly more travel.

Also the 12" of up travel, how high dies the vehicle have to me jacked up to attain that ? The teraflex achieves 8" with a 3" lift. I'm running flat fenders and I was planning on trimming the pinch seem and rock rail. And clearance the front bumper. With the coilovers how much up travel can I get with a mild lift height ?
if you really believe that the TF kit gets 8" of "up" travel with just a 3" lift, they're either using magic to get it or, you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

please know that i've run TF kits and can tell you that they're nice and i recommend them all the time. but, you're kidding yourself if you really think their pre-runner kit will perform better than a good set of coil overs. granted, coil overs are a lot more expensive and, if you're working within a budget, the TF may be the way for you to go.

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Where is that system on their site?
it hasn't been released just yet - maybe in about 2 weeks.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Is it for sale yet?

Quick Reply: Teraflex prerunner kit without longarms ? I want to do some high speed stuff.