Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex prerunner kit without longarms ? I want to do some high speed stuff.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex prerunner kit without longarms ? I want to do some high speed stuff.

I was pretty close to buying a new Ford Raptor short cab the other day, but my financial angel on the shoulder got to me and decided to mod my JK-U and save $40,000 or so and get a similar experience.

Is it possible to run the TeraFlex Prerunner kit without the longarms, or possibly go to a long arm setup down the road ? I've been running a 3.5" coil lift with stock arms and have no complaints regarding road manners. Are the speedbumps specific to the prerunner kit different than the standard ones because of the different axle travel path when using long arms ?

Also, would there be a performance hit by running 2.5 or 2" lift instead of a 3" ? Right now I am running 35" tires on stock ride height and loving the low center of gravity. I suppose the lift is where the extra up-travel comes from.

My other upgrades will be the goodyear duratracks, a performance brake kit (not sure which one yet) and either a supercharger/exhaust system or a hemi swap.

Kind of considering the supercharger as the jeep is balanced well right now, a hemi swap would throw a lot of extra weight onto the front.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

I'm new to the jk so can't give you an answer quite yet. However I've just installed the Teraflex short arm kit with fox res shocks and front 3" fox bump stops. Will be doing a desert run next weekend and can report back then.

I've spent a lot of time driving a 4 door raptor and they are awesome. They don't like whoops but excel at all other fast stuff. Gives you lots of confidence. Still bottom out on big stuff though. Lots of guys are adding bump stops to them. Steering is very accurate which I don't find on my jeep (both before and after lift). Find my jeep steering hard to get used to. It's a 2012 rubi unlimited.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

If you are currently running a 3.5" short arm lift, you can upgrade to long arms no problems. Teraflex makes a long arm upgrade kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2400.htm

The bump stops are Teraflex Speed bumps that can also be purchased separately. They make them in different sizes depending on your lift height http://www.quadratec.com/products/16197_1130_07.htm

The good thing with Jeep lift kits is that everything is upgradable down the road.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mrmike
I'm new to the jk so can't give you an answer quite yet. However I've just installed the Teraflex short arm kit with fox res shocks and front 3" fox bump stops. Will be doing a desert run next weekend and can report back then.

I've spent a lot of time driving a 4 door raptor and they are awesome. They don't like whoops but excel at all other fast stuff. Gives you lots of confidence. Still bottom out on big stuff though. Lots of guys are adding bump stops to them. Steering is very accurate which I don't find on my jeep (both before and after lift). Find my jeep steering hard to get used to. It's a 2012 rubi unlimited.
How much lift do you have? Have you upgraded any of your steering components yet or just stock?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by snopro269
How much lift do you have? Have you upgraded any of your steering components yet or just stock?
I don't want to hijack the tread with my steering concerns so I started a new thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...66#post2949666

However it still relevant to the OP so he spends money in the right places. I have the 3" lift. Stock steering. Jk only has 500 miles on it. Running the front monster track bar to oem brackets. I've out 100 miles on car post lift.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 20JK10
If you are currently running a 3.5" short arm lift, you can upgrade to long arms no problems. Teraflex makes a long arm upgrade kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2400.htm

The bump stops are Teraflex Speed bumps that can also be purchased separately. They make them in different sizes depending on your lift height http://www.quadratec.com/products/16197_1130_07.htm

The good thing with Jeep lift kits is that everything is upgradable down the road.
For all that time and money would coil-overs be a better option?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Coilover

Coil over front an rear would be ball park 10-12,000 (depending how many parts you need) according to ORE. Lots of labor and lots of new parts ( arms, steering, drive shafts, etc). 12k buys you a turn key Bronco pre-runner...
Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jcole
I was pretty close to buying a new Ford Raptor short cab the other day, but my financial angel on the shoulder got to me and decided to mod my JK-U and save $40,000 or so and get a similar experience.

Is it possible to run the TeraFlex Prerunner kit without the longarms, or possibly go to a long arm setup down the road ? I've been running a 3.5" coil lift with stock arms and have no complaints regarding road manners. Are the speedbumps specific to the prerunner kit different than the standard ones because of the different axle travel path when using long arms ?

Also, would there be a performance hit by running 2.5 or 2" lift instead of a 3" ? Right now I am running 35" tires on stock ride height and loving the low center of gravity. I suppose the lift is where the extra up-travel comes from.

My other upgrades will be the goodyear duratracks, a performance brake kit (not sure which one yet) and either a supercharger/exhaust system or a hemi swap.

Kind of considering the supercharger as the jeep is balanced well right now, a hemi swap would throw a lot of extra weight onto the front.
First your post is confusing , you say at first that you have a 3.5 lift then you say you are at stock height which one is it and to be honest I don't see the benifits of a long over a short are for a prerunner setup , so I hope someone can say why you need a long arm

If you are really plan on doing a prerunner setup you are going to need a lot more then you got posted and most of it is beefing up your front axle
Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

To clarify, I was running a 3.5" short arm lift in the past. The Jeep is now at stock height.

I don't want to build a full-on pre-runner, I mainly just want a quick fun vehicle that can go fast offroad, similar to the raptor. The reason I posted it, I don't see a reason for the long arms either. At 3", you aren't gaining suspension flex with long arms, as a stock location shock is the limiting factor in flex. Also at 3" the control arms are not very far from parallel to the ground.

I think I will call teraflex and get them to piece together a kit using everything in the prerunner kit minus the long arms and test it out.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jcole
To clarify, I was running a 3.5" short arm lift in the past. The Jeep is now at stock height.

I don't want to build a full-on pre-runner, I mainly just want a quick fun vehicle that can go fast offroad, similar to the raptor. The reason I posted it, I don't see a reason for the long arms either. At 3", you aren't gaining suspension flex with long arms, as a stock location shock is the limiting factor in flex. Also at 3" the control arms are not very far from parallel to the ground.

I think I will call teraflex and get them to piece together a kit using everything in the prerunner kit minus the long arms and test it out.
Now that you cleared that up , I don't see why you can't do a prerunner setup with a 3" lift

Here is my setup up so far for a prerunner setup 4" lift , 31" fox resi shocks all around , sleeve and gusset for the front axle all I need now is my speedbumps I don't see the benifits with longer control arms

Quick Reply: Teraflex prerunner kit without longarms ? I want to do some high speed stuff.