Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Longarm Install...Doing it myself.....should I ???

Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the 6" LCG lift on my jeep myself. Rather simple. The only pain was cutting the brackets off. Invest in a fire blanket or shield of some sort so you can cut the bracket off by the gas tank. Find youself a torch (rent or ask around.) Welding the brackets on is a snap. You might need a saws-all to cut the drivers side exhaust to fit the bracket in (I did...took it to a muffler shop and it costed $70 to put a new elbow in.) I used 2- 6 ton jackstands and 2- 4 ton jackstand with cement blocks. TeraFlex has a good writeup in the instructions that come with the lift. I had only one question when installing and I called and talked to Joe and he set me straight. Take your time...Took me about 26 hours total. I did a complete axle swap, shocks, speed bumps, front trackbar relocation and driveshafts. Research a good alignment shop too. I just called places that installed lifts and asked them where they took their jeeps to get aligned after they were finished and went from there. Doing it yourself feels a lot better in the long run. Plus if something goes wrong later on down the road you know how it goes together and what it should look like. Good luck to ya!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti
Here is my theory, if you are asking us should you do it, then you are not confident in your mechanical skills enough to say "This is easy enough to do by myself".

With that being said, this is not a job for someone with mediocre mechanical skills and does not have a thorough understanding of how your suspension works and how to bring all of the new kit back to a workable geometry. It is also not for a welder who is not certified. If you have a welder who knows his stuff and is certified and you have excellent mechanical skills and know how to dial everything in afterwards, then this is for you. If not, find a shop who has a LOT of experience with Jeeps and take it to them as it is all to easy to blotch it up to the point where your vehicle is going to have to go into a shop to get it all corrected.

So unless you can say this is easy no prob, then I would probably give it some really good thought and at least do a lot of reading here on how to install this kit.

And while you can do it on jack stands, you will definitely want some seriously tall ones if possible. A lift is a better idea if you can gain access to one.
OK...thank you for your reply. Some really good points in that.
More info on me...

I've been a Toolmaker for 29 years now....not a old toolmaker but a real damn good one ( I just turned 50)
The welder is certified... really knows his chit...
I've installed at least 20 lifts in my life...does not mean I am good but I do have some experience.
Built 20 or more engines....Chevy 350's....383's... Lots of Fords 302-347...but mostly 351 made into 408....my favorite...easy 600hp.
You did make me really think of the main reasons for my uncertainly...I really do not want to be on my back for 20+ hours and 5+ of those hours
on my back with my sawzall.....
But you did light a fire under my butt and now I am going to do it FOR SURE......I will post some pictures as I go along.
If anybody wants to come over and watch / help.... the pizza and beer is on me
Let the party begin!

Too many to post.....
Attachment 207833Attachment 207834Attachment 207835Attachment 207836Attachment 207837
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RKracing
OK...thank you for your reply. Some really good points in that.
More info on me...

I've been a Toolmaker for 29 years now....not a old toolmaker but a real damn good one ( I just turned 50)
The welder is certified... really knows his chit...
I've installed at least 20 lifts in my life...does not mean I am good but I do have some experience.
Built 20 or more engines....Chevy 350's....383's... Lots of Fords 302-347...but mostly 351 made into 408....my favorite...easy 600hp.
You did make me really think of the main reasons for my uncertainly...I really do not want to be on my back for 20+ hours and 5+ of those hours
on my back with my sawzall.....
But you did light a fire under my butt and now I am going to do it FOR SURE......I will post some pictures as I go along.
If anybody wants to come over and watch / help.... the pizza and beer is on me
Let the party begin!

Too many to post.....
Attachment 207833Attachment 207834Attachment 207835Attachment 207836Attachment 207837
OK...after reading that, not only do I think you should do yours...you should also do a few lifts for the rest of us! You obviously have the skills to pull this off.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

See I plan on getting the Teraflex long arm upgrade kit myself and I plan on putting it on myself. My only concern about the matter is Whether I can get a welder and hook it up to my house. Other than that I know my mechanics and welding skills will do the job. By the looks of it I think you got those skills covered!

Quick Reply: Teraflex Longarm Install...Doing it myself.....should I ???