Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Leveling Kit Swaybar links too close to springs (rubs in some cases)

Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy

thanks for looking out, but that's how they are. It's a dark picture, but that's my drivers side front, taken from over the front bumper.
Sorry scrappy - I meant yours were correct and was using them as "the picture above"
Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Notakar
Sorry scrappy - I meant yours were correct and was using them as "the picture above"
lol, ok thanks. For a second I was like I thought I did them right. haha
Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, unfortunately, I am not anywhere close to versed in this type of work. So, if the directions say stand on one's head and do a backflip, guess what, that's what I am going to do if it means the outcome is good.

I guess as I become more attuned to tuning and jacking with Wranglers, things will come a lot easier and I will be able to share my experiences as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
your lower part of the coil isnt in the right spot for one.
rotate it more. till the end of the coil fits in perfectly to the snug indent.
I looked. It is in the indent. Believe me this morning it was unseated and I had to fix it. It was much easier the second time around than yesterday initially doing this for the first time ever.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Your vehicle is lifted so you can't compare your springs deformation to the pictures of springs bearing weight.

If you still have bow in your springs when bearing the weight of the vehicle, as one other poster said, you probably need adjustable lower control arms. Your caster is going to be off after this lift and that is the price of a budget boost. Adjustable lower control arms will fix it.
I understand. There were earlier posts where people actually had bent/curved springs, even after taking the spring off the Wrangler. I guess they had messed up springs. Personally, I was trying to eliminate that as a possibility...my springs are straight when not bearing weight. So, as you said, caster is probably my issue and eventually I will have to make the decision to stick with the budget boost or upgrade to a decent lift.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I talked to the Teraflex guys and they have told me that, yes, they’ve seen this issue, and that it is likely a quality control thing with Jeep. Specifically, he said that my coil buckets may not be welded to exact Jeep specs….oh well.
So, follow on question. Since I do not have the resources to do front adjustable control arms at the moment, is it right to leave my Jeep as is?
Basically, is having slightly bowed springs going to cause me any issues down the road or will it be fine to drive? I can probably do something for the sway bar links, like buy skinnier ones, but since I have no control over adjusting the caster, I either have to:
a) Live with the slight bow if it is not going to cause me problems
b) Take one puck off the front and see what happens and hope the bow goes away
c) Return to stock
What would you do? Opinions would be much appreciated in this matter.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

what? no opinions?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jereb83
what? no opinions?
I have the Teraflex leveling kit, but I used one of their 1/2" spacers in the front, so I have 1.5" front lift instead of 2". You might try that and see if it makes any difference having it a bit lower. You can buy the 1/2" spacer on their website. Or take out one spacer is the front and see how it sits with just 1" in the front. Worth a try. You might also try different sway bar links. I have AEV links, and haven't had any issues. But I had to buy a whole AEV kit to get the links, so it's not real practical. I just didn't like the design of the Teraflex links, but I did have them on a previous Jeep with no issues. I think Teraflex is probably right--that some Jeeps just aren't precise from the factory. Not sure I've helped much, but just my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like some good info for me. Thanks! I will be checking your recommendations out. I thought about taking one of the pucks off this weekend to see if there was a difference.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I read above about you taking the isolators out or not. Did you do this? You need to jam on the isolators on the spacers. It be not completely seated right. My kit worked perfectly. I would again check how your spring is seated. And the isolator on the spacer.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Leveling Kit Swaybar links too close to springs (rubs in some cases)