Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex leveling kit install with Hi-Lift?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex leveling kit install with Hi-Lift?

I've been searching and reading threads, sounds like the TF leveling kit is a pretty easy DIY project:

Remove bottom shock bolts, remove swaybar links, remove brake line brackets, drop the axle, remove the coil, add the spacer, replace everything. Do I have that about right?

I don't own a floor jack. Do you think this is do-able with a Hi-Lift (assuming all proper safety precautions are taken of course)?

tia
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to borrow one from someone before I used a Hi Lift. Or even bought one from Sears, used it and then returned it. If you had no other option, and were careful, then I guess I would use it. Just make sure you have a good, wide base and get the jack stands under ASAP! Good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Beg,Borrow,Steal,whatever but get a floor jack (at least 2.5 ton) and be safe.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought a floor jack with 21.4" of lift at Costco for $89.99. It is much better than the jack I purchased at Sears. The release to lower works very well.

I don't think there is a way you can do it with a hi-lift.

This jack from Costco lifted my jeep by jacking at the center of the frame more than enough to install new springs. I did use jack stands to support the jeep.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

As mentioned above, do NOT try this with a high-lift. Use a proper jack. If you dont have one, borrow one from a friend. Or hell, you could probably use the OEM jack that came with your jeep if you stuck a 2x6 under it for a bit of extra height then use jack stands to hold the frame up.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

yea dont do it with a high lift. those things tip so easily. Borrow or go buy. I would just buy it. You own a jeep you will need it more than once
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely do not do this with a Hi Lift. Be safe and rent one. I believe Autozone has a jack in their rental program. You just have to go in and say you want to rent one, give them your Credit Card, and then once your finished, bring it back for a FULL refund. Be safe and get a real jack. I always feel nervous as it is with a regular jack let alone a Hi Lift.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Add me to the list of NO WAY!! You can find some jack stands somewhere.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK thanks for the comments. I agree, using a Hi-Lift would not be the ideal tool for this job, but it's what I had available. I had read a comment in an install thread that said "Jack up each corner by the frame and watch the spring fall out."

I asked a couple of local (Portland, OR) shops what they would charge to do the install for me and got quotes from 250 to over 300! Every one told me that I MUST get an alignment afterwards, even with a 1" lift, because of something having to do with throwing off the ERM sensors and making the Jeep "undrivable". Totally opposite of what I've been reading here, and I believe the consensus of this forum more than a shop in need of a buck.

I will try to find or rent or buy a floor jack. Got jack stands already, just no floor jack. You are right, I ought to just go buy one, but I move around a lot and don't want to have to lug around any more big chunks of useful metal.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Autozone doesn't rent them ( I checked last week). I picked-up a 3 ton floor jack at Harbor Freight last weekend for $59. Well worth the investment.

Quick Reply: Teraflex leveling kit install with Hi-Lift?