Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier work with new wheels setup?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier work with new wheels setup?

Hey everyone, I feel like lately I have been on here posting alot of questions, I have one more for you. I just recently purchased wheels for my JKU Sahara and am just waiting for the hub rings to arrive, but in the meantime I have thought about replacing the weak OEM rear tire carrier with the Teraflex hinged carrier and my concern is if the wheel and tire setup will work properly. I'm just planning on running the hinge, not the adjustable piece. My new wheels are a 18x9 XD Addicts with a backspace of 5.7 (18mm offset), the tire size is 275/65R/18 which measure to a standard size of 32.1x10.8. Would this setup work ok with the terflex carrier before I purchase it? I just want to make sure it will fit snug and not move around. Any info would be helpful!

Last edited by Brnxbomr2; 08-13-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Changing just to the "hinge" wont make any difference to how your current setup is. Your just swaping one weak hinge to a stronger one. If your aftermarket wheels fit now then your good to go. I have rugged ridge wheels on 34's on the stock carrier with no issues. The tire isn't tight to the body and I dont have rattling issues. I will switch to the adjustable TF carrier when I can afford it for peace of mind.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

This is confusing. You said you want to replace the OEM carrier, but then say you are only using the Teraflex hinge. That makes it seem you will have new hinges and no carrier at all, so you won't have a spare to even worry about fitment. Best thing to do is go ahead and get the whole setup with the adjustable carrier. I have it. Its great. The new hinges will be more than strong enough for a 32. They hold up to 37s. With the adjustable carrier, you adjust for the distance between the tire and the tailgate, so you can basically get it as snug as you can. Plus, if you ever go larger, it just takes adjusting the depth and you can move the lugs up to keep it off your bumper. I don't recommend snugging it up all the way to where the tire touches the hinge...it will vibrate on bumps and squeek from rubber on metal rubbing.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished installing mine. Done in 1 hr flat. Easiest install ever done on my jeep. Mounted my 35x12.5x17 with stock rim on the rear. Using the stock carrier and 3rd brake light bit with the rough country tire mount spacer. If using a spacer you should be fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130813_191814.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	488035

Name:	ForumRunner_20130813_191825.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	488036

Name:	ForumRunner_20130813_191834.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	488037
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elrodmg09
This is confusing. You said you want to replace the OEM carrier, but then say you are only using the Teraflex hinge. That makes it seem you will have new hinges and no carrier at all, so you won't have a spare to even worry about fitment. Best thing to do is go ahead and get the whole setup with the adjustable carrier. I have it. Its great. The new hinges will be more than strong enough for a 32. They hold up to 37s. With the adjustable carrier, you adjust for the distance between the tire and the tailgate, so you can basically get it as snug as you can. Plus, if you ever go larger, it just takes adjusting the depth and you can move the lugs up to keep it off your bumper. I don't recommend snugging it up all the way to where the tire touches the hinge...it will vibrate on bumps and squeek from rubber on metal rubbing.
I want to install the Terflex carrier and have recently purchased the wheels. Everything is currently stock, but I will be installing the wheels soon as they arrive. I was thinking of installing the carrier before I install the wheels.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
I just finished installing mine. Done in 1 hr flat. Easiest install ever done on my jeep. Mounted my 35x12.5x17 with stock rim on the rear. Using the stock carrier and 3rd brake light bit with the rough country tire mount spacer. If using a spacer you should be fine.

Attachment 488035

Attachment 488036

Attachment 488037
Thought this was supposed to sit flush against the tire carrier?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you referring to the tire? If so, I have a spacer
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
Are you referring to the tire? If so, I have a spacer
Oh! I didn't see you were running a spacer.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeff Daniels Jeep said they would charge me $250 to install this.. I was shocked! I'm mechanically inclined and can do it myself, was just trying to save aggravation, but Jesus..
Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless they charge $250/hr, they're trying to rip you off. Do it yourself and take the better half out to a nice dinner, you'll still be up $50

Quick Reply: Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier work with new wheels setup?