Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex HD Ball Joints

Old 02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
I guess you and I are going to be the guinea pigs
Agreed, they went in nicely and seem tight, not sure I'll need the preload adjustment anytime soon, but it's there.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea on how that pre-load works?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenb1023
Any idea on how that pre-load works?
It comes set already from the Teraflex factory but if you feel that you need to adjust it and/or the time comes to adjust it, you're just turning that top cover with the 4 holes on top for the bottom ball joint...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JasY_HJGM#t=212
Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
It comes set already from the Teraflex factory but if you feel that you need to adjust it and/or the time comes to adjust it, you're just turning that top cover with the 4 holes on top for the bottom ball joint...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JasY_HJGM#t=212
Let me rephrase the question. I am not the most knowledgeable person on all the front end gear. Why would you need to adjust it? I need a bit of schooling on the principle.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kenb1023
Let me rephrase the question. I am not the most knowledgeable person on all the front end gear. Why would you need to adjust it? I need a bit of schooling on the principle.
As the lower ball joint wears, it gets vertical play in it. This is the reason ball joints need to be replaced.
The adjustable feature of this ball joint allows you to turn the top of it, eliminating the play as it wears, returning it to "new" specification. Eventually, the ball joint will get to the point that it can no longer be adjusted. That point is certainly farther down the road than a non-adjustable ball joint.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
As the lower ball joint wears, it gets vertical play in it. This is the reason ball joints need to be replaced.
The adjustable feature of this ball joint allows you to turn the top of it, eliminating the play as it wears, returning it to "new" specification. Eventually, the ball joint will get to the point that it can no longer be adjusted. That point is certainly farther down the road than a non-adjustable ball joint.
That makes sense. Thanks
Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious if anyone has installed these the last couple months? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Teraflex HD Ball Joints