Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex or Full Traction 3" to 3.5" lift

Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I will correct you. A suspension lift gives you both belly clearance and better approach angles and departure angles. It also gives u better articulation which keeps ur wheels on ground giving u better traction. What bigger tires will do is do all the above as far as clearance and get ur diffs and axles higher. So a jeep with a 4 inch lift and 33s will outperform a stock jeep on 33s.
Thank you for the correction. I guess when I think of better clearance, I am thinking about gaining clearance at the lowest point on the jeep. Which is, in my mind, the diffs and axles. Which, a suspension lift (no matter how big) won't raise off the ground without taller tires. However, you bring up a very good point about better approach angles and increased articulation. don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that a jeep with lift will outperform a jeep without a lift on the same size tires. I was solely speaking of the difference in height at the axles and diffs and was not addressing the factors of articulation and approach angle. thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 4" Teraflex LA. It came on the Jeep I bought and have been extremely happy with it. I had purchased the jeep site unseen, and when I got it, found out the rear LCA's were on upside down and backwards. Spoke multiple times with TF on the phone and here on the forums. They were extremely patient and helpful in walking me through swapping the arms without messing anything else up. I would recommend them. Plus, and this may be true with FT too, but if you go with the short arm, they have an upgrade kit to the long arm, should you want to go that route somewhere down the road.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDJKER
Thank you for the correction. I guess when I think of better clearance, I am thinking about gaining clearance at the lowest point on the jeep. Which is, in my mind, the diffs and axles. Which, a suspension lift (no matter how big) won't raise off the ground without taller tires. However, you bring up a very good point about better approach angles and increased articulation. don't get me wrong, I definitely agree that a jeep with lift will outperform a jeep without a lift on the same size tires. I was solely speaking of the difference in height at the axles and diffs and was not addressing the factors of articulation and approach angle. thanks for the clarification.
U r Def right about not increasing ground clearance at lowest point but just wanted to point out that suspnesion lift has more benefits than just increasing clearance at lowest point. If u put ur tires in the right place, the diff and axles being low isnt a huge problem, breakover and approach angles are more limiting than diffs hanging low. I do not suscribe to the low center of gravity theory. I like articualtion and crazy breakover angle. Now u dont want to be tippy but there is a happy medium. I am planning on going wth a lift soon that will clear 37s but will stick to 35s.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Both the lift you want are good. I have friends running both and they have no issues. I was leaning towards the teraflex, but after looking at funds. I ended up with the rock krawler 3.5 mid arm kit. I have to say I'm not disappointed with what I got. Just look for the things you find are important and wait for a sale.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

dont forget the rough country 3.5" lift i just got mine on the jeep and love it now im just waiting for my longer break lines:(
Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks fpr all the advice. I'm starting to Full Traction. I like the option of upgrading to long arm later.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RanchoRubi
Why did you change to to the long arm? More lift? Thanks
Better geometry and performance.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by RanchoRubi
Thanks fpr all the advice. I'm starting to Full Traction. I like the option of upgrading to long arm later.
Our kits are maintenance free and use high quality heim joints and torsion rubber bushings.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me or email.

Chris
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
Our kits are maintenance free and use high quality heim joints and torsion rubber bushings.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me or email.

Chris

Thanks. Will do in next few weeks.

Quick Reply: Teraflex or Full Traction 3" to 3.5" lift