Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Teraflex or JE Reel Driveshafts?
Teraflex
22.45%
JE Reel
77.55%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Teraflex Driveshafts vs. JE Reel

Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
well it seems that JE Reel is dominating the polls so far, any input on which ones to run? 1310? 1350? Whats the difference? Remember im a 2dr automatic
The difference would be in the size of tires you decide to go with I would say anything 35 and under I would run the 1310 and 35 and over the 1350's if running 35 you could go with either however the ds would be the weak link. the real decision maker is how much are you willing to spend on the DS the 1310's are a bit cheaper than the 1350's so depending on your set up go with what works best. I run 1310's front and back with 33's on my JK thats because I like the articulation I use it both on and off and it is my daily driver when Im back in the states. I will soon be upgrading to 4.10 gears eventually to get me back to stock but for my opinion all I really need are the 33's for me the 35's are a little over kill and yeah I would be happy but just not for me. For your rig to be sound build it right skimp in the cosmetic stuff but don't be cheap to get by it will leave you stranded someday or you just might get lucky and won't be. Always remember it is your life on the line you break a ds while driving down the road it could kill you tweak it just enough on the trail and then on the ride home failure. so get what works....
Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

JE Reel tells me that they use a 31 degree joint, and others use a 26 degree joint. They say that's wahy a lot of hardcore crawlers use them. Can anybody confirm this?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Slippery
JE Reel tells me that they use a 31 degree joint, and others use a 26 degree joint. They say that's wahy a lot of hardcore crawlers use them. Can anybody confirm this?
i know in rockcrawling comps, I see alot of buggys with Je reel and 1350's.

I would also trusts jims word, he isnt the type of guy to bullshit anyone
Old 06-20-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Eugene
I have trouble with some of the logic here. First 1350 u-joints aren't huge! they are slightly bigger than a 1310. I carry a couple of spares myself. And as far as the 'rather break a u-joint' statement, I personally know three people who lost a drive shaft u-joint. Two in 4x4's and one in a car. The two 4x4 lost d/s u-joints and fragged there t-cases. Not a cheap 'break'. The one car was on the freeway and when it went,it spun him around for the ride of his life. Also I have seen many posts of twisted JK stock driveshafts runningh with the CV joints, so there is no guarantee that u-joints will save anything.
slightly? i would say its alot bigger.

eddie has 1350 u-joints in his JK and completely exploded his front locker and axle shafts, maybe if he had 1310's he would have broke a driveshaft instead.

Who really knows

btw, I do run 1350's myself
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Teraflex shaft

The Teraflex front drive shaft for my JK, that I purchased 10/19/2011 is going back. I blew $120.00 on it AFTER I bought it to get it balanced right. Well, turns out the yokes are not balanced either. I'm not sinking any more cash into a defective product. It should work right out of the box. Yes, I should have taken it back immediately, but it was easier to balance it then pull the yokes and return it.....right? Wrong! After some research on the components used in the Teraflex shaft, it turns out they are all sourced from China. I don't mind parts from our neighbors in Canada and Mexico, I don't even mind Japan...but China is out of the question. I know the shafts are put together here, in Utah as a matter of fact...but cheap components make a cheap overall product!

Not Too Pleased right now...

I'll take my loss after my refund and go with something else.

I don't like to complain, but at the same time...this may help someone else.

Just for the record, I have used Teraflex over the years, and have had NO other problems with anything they manufacture or sell. I even recommend them in a lot of applications...not driveshafts.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arubajeeper
The Teraflex front drive shaft for my JK, that I purchased 10/19/2011 is going back. I blew $120.00 on it AFTER I bought it to get it balanced right. Well, turns out the yokes are not balanced either. I'm not sinking any more cash into a defective product. It should work right out of the box. Yes, I should have taken it back immediately, but it was easier to balance it then pull the yokes and return it.....right? Wrong! After some research on the components used in the Teraflex shaft, it turns out they are all sourced from China. I don't mind parts from our neighbors in Canada and Mexico, I don't even mind Japan...but China is out of the question. I know the shafts are put together here, in Utah as a matter of fact...but cheap components make a cheap overall product!

Not Too Pleased right now...

I'll take my loss after my refund and go with something else.

I don't like to complain, but at the same time...this may help someone else.

Just for the record, I have used Teraflex over the years, and have had NO other problems with anything they manufacture or sell. I even recommend them in a lot of applications...not driveshafts.
I'm curious about a couple of things. 1. Yokes outta balance- how was this determined?
2. What exactly is sourced from China?The metal?

BTW, my first TF shaft was outta balance, I left the original yokes from that shaft on my jk, sent the shaft back, they sent me a new one, smooth as butter on the yokes I originally installed.

It's not uncommon to get outta bal shafts nowadays. Same thing happened with my JE reel.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called TF about another product last week and took advantage of the opportunity to ask them about their shafts. I was told they are manufactured in Utah. I asked about their U joints and was told they use Spicer and another brand (don't recall). Isn't the Spicer made in the US? I am curious now what parts may be Chinese.

Where are JE Reel shafts made and where are the components made?

How about Coast?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gotta say JE reel also running their front and rear 1350. Never had a problem
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pomona and they are off resevoir off the 60 fwy
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Freak