Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Drag Link Flip kit results

Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex Drag Link Flip kit results

I installed the Terflex drag link flip kit because I wanted a better drive. Everything seemed logical enough when I looked it over.

Upon the test drive life was great. Even seemed to ride smoother, less binding.

But, once I got out on the freeway and got up to speed, there it all went. Steering is loose feeling and I am getting bump steer back in the steering wheel from the front end.

So, I sat down and started to draw it out, and guess what. This idea does not fly on paper at all. Can someone please tell me why this system should work?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

The reasons that flipping the drag-link can be desirable are:

-If you've lifted to a certain height, steering geometry is can be wonky without correction
-moves stuff further up out of the way.
-is a stronger rod than stock so shouldn't flex (bigger tires, more strain etc)
-includes a secondary brace to try and help tighten things back up.

I'm thinking (assuming install was correct) that something else could be the culprit still. Bad balljoints, something loose down there, unit bearings are shot, stabilizers' no good. Sure someone who knows more than me can chime in.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your drag link and track bar parallel?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tow is set, I have adjustable lower arms, all bushing are new. Alignment is perfect. Tire pressures are the same they have been for 20k miles.

Everything was fine before. I know what the benifits are supposed to be with flipping the drag link, that is why I did it.

No drag link and track bar are not parrallel. That is the problem with this kit. You end up raising the drag link on the passengers side, and lowering the track bar on the drivers side. After the fact, this does not make sense. But I thought, okay, who am I to question Teraflex. Take a look at this drawing:

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
Tow is set, I have adjustable lower arms, all bushing are new. Alignment is perfect. Tire pressures are the same they have been for 20k miles.

Everything was fine before. I know what the benifits are supposed to be with flipping the drag link, that is why I did it.

No drag link and track bar are not parrallel. That is the problem with this kit. You end up raising the drag link on the passengers side, and lowering the track bar on the drivers side. After the fact, this does not make sense. But I thought, okay, who am I to question Teraflex. Take a look at this drawing:

actually, in theory, doing this should provide the desired effect - both track bar and draglink more level to the axle. and, they should technically still be parallel to each other as well. IF they really aren't (and, that's not so hard to believe being that a lot of kits aren't dead on after all is said and done), that would definitely be the source of your bump steer. the more off it is, the more bump steer you will have.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-19-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How tall of a lift do you have?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
How tall of a lift do you have?
I have a 4" lift.

I am just trying to get this figured out. You guys make great stuff, I have used it in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I am just trying to figure out what is going on.

Install pic for reference:
Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
I have a 4" lift.

I am just trying to get this figured out. You guys make great stuff, I have used it in the past and will continue to do so in the future. I am just trying to figure out what is going on.

Install pic for reference:
it's hard to say for sure looking at this pic but, they kind of look a lot more on that your diagram shows.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
it's hard to say for sure looking at this pic but, they kind of look a lot more on that your diagram shows.
Good point, I think you are right. So, I redrew it in order to be more accurate, yes, they are parallel.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Well, as far as I know the bars themselves don't have to be parallel but the mountings points/bolts should be parallel... I'm pretty sure its not perfect but pretty close with the tf unit. After I installed this I re-adjusted my caster and toe till it handled perfect. I'm not sure why but how I had it set before didn't work ideally with the drag link flip/drop bracket. I would try making some adjustments and see what you come up with. Toe is so easy to set just tweak it each time you go out and see how it handles. I believe Im currently running 1/32 toe-in with around 6 degrees of caster with 4'' for a reference. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Drag Link Flip kit results