Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

teraflex disco/wrangler surprise

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Calypso
This helps me decide which to buy.....not these.
I don't think it was any fault of teraflex. I ran them on my TJ and had freinds run them too. Tons of people on here use them. I doubt it is a real problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I didn't use those dinky nylon locks... It is the kind where the nut has little indentions on one side of it. I thought the nyons where called nyla-locks or something. I dunno. These are only grade 5, I used some grade 8 locknuts and flatwashers with them. I am hoping the won't move until I get some replacements.

That is strange the same thing happened to you. Maybe we drive too aggressively?

Think this will be ok? I snapped a couple photos before I wiped it all down:
Put some Locktight on the nuts for extra security.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't use those dinky nylon locks... It is the kind where the nut has little indentions on one side of it. I thought the nyons where called nyla-locks or something. I dunno. These are only grade 5, I used some grade 8 locknuts and flatwashers with them. I am hoping the won't move until I get some replacements.

That is strange the same thing happened to you. Maybe we drive too aggressively?
You absolutely purchased the correct hardware, I cannot imagine any nuts/ washers TF would send you would last any longer or be any stronger. Honestly they probably provide very similar hardware, or atleast the hardware included with the swaybar links in my 2.5" coil lift was the same. I suspect it was a fluke incident and you will probably never have a problem there again.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think this will be ok? I snapped a couple photos before I wiped it all down:
I had that same pin come loose and fall out on me on a rough road. I went to ACE and purchased a couple of locking pins that fit the disco's just to ensure that I did not lose them again.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Put some Locktight on the nuts for extra security.
YUP...this is what i did. No problems since. I just think there is alot of stress on these parts with big tires. Its not like Teraflex mfg'ed the nut and bolt so no blame on them there.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi

I was going to order a replacement, but I am thinking I will just locktight this and see if I can just get a hitch pin like what came in the kit to begin with. I inspected the piece and saw no damage to it or the link, and like stated above the Teraflex hardware is probably about the same. I do like the way the hitchpin they sent retains itself. I doubt the one I replaced it with could fall out (it is pretty tight) but the other seems really solid. I will probably order the entire new unit though, just for piece of mind. I sure hope it was just a random fluke. Driving around with half your swaybar connected makes things squirly.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Calypso
This helps me decide which to buy.....not these.
Don't let one or two bad reviews get in the way of a great poduct. I disco my swaybar links at least twice a month when I wheel for the past year and no issues whatsoever.

I'd rotate that pin so it's up and down and not sideways.

These are mine and how I mounted them:

Last edited by Suffolk JK; 03-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

I am in no way giving it a bad review. I don't know what caused the issue. The link itself is still in great shape, just the hardware is gone. I doubt they made the hardware. I would still recommend them to someone looking for links.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 03-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

I really think someone helped this happen. I know it seems far off, but it does not show any of the signs of a part that worked its way out over a period of time. The first and major reason I think this is that if it got loose and was moving around the hole it goes in would be much larger. Also the threads would be flattened from moving around. I also believe that if it worked its way out there would have been clunking before it came out. There is no way it went from tight to completely unbolted without a clunk. Although the hitch pin was gone, the rod the link goes on was still inside the link. I do not think the link (that slides off pretty easy) would stay in place while the nut unbolted itself with nothing to hold it on.

I do not know how this happened, and probably never will. I do not in anyway think that here is any fault in Teraflex's product. Even though this was outside their responsiblity, Teraflex has been very helpful. They are a fantastic company with great customer service that makes incredible products. The build quality on this Teraflex lift kit is great, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Quick Reply: teraflex disco/wrangler surprise