Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

teraflex disco/wrangler surprise

Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default teraflex disco/wrangler surprise

awww... how sweet... my Jeep and my Teraflex sway bar disconnects got together and made me a little surprise. The steering wheel was jerking around on every bump... things just did not feel right. So I look under the jeep and saw this:

WTF!!!!??? How did this happen. Before 13 people tell me that it was not tightened or something... I have had them on for over a month now, and I know I got them tight. How do I know? a couple days after the lift I put a wrench on every new nut and bolt to see if anything loosened up so something like this wouldn't happen. Then I had the shop that does a lot of work for me (and almost every lift in town) double check everything and make sure I missed nothing and all was tight!!! How did this happen? Maybe a saboteur? Not happy.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my TF discos on for a year now and they never came loose nor have I ever even checked them after I installed them.

Are you sure everything wa fine a dandy? Maybe someone did do it on purpose. Any enemies?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

you checked them a couple days after install but what about a 500 mile check? Unless someone crawled up under and loosened it... it wasn't tight
Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi

I have just now driven 500 miles. wouldn't the threads be beat to crap if it wasn't tight and the nut worked its way out? I am thinking maybe someone helped it out? The pin and washer were gone too.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

If the pin was gone, then it was definitely done by someone. The pin that they supply can't just jump out. I specifically ran the rod so that the pin is inserted up and down and can't jump at all.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

My local hardware store had the stuff in stock to patch it up. If anyone else runs into something like this, the nut size is 1/2x20 (I got a lock nut). They did not have the same tpe of hitch pin, but they had the regular type that just pulls size:5/33x2 15/16. the washer on the end is 3/4. I got all grade 8 parts and SS where I could. Besides the pin being different, any reason this won't be OK till I get the parts from Teraflex?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Im doubting someone messed with it. I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I checked all the bolts and torqued the night before and drove 2/12 hours through the rockys and when i got to the trail head i heard metal flying underneath. Got out to check/disco and found the same thing along with my mounting flange "wallowed" out. I dont have a clue...i guess to many sharp mtn turns on 35's worked it loose.

Teraflex does sell a kit to replace those exact lost parts
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
My local hardware store had the stuff in stock to patch it up. If anyone else runs into something like this, the nut size is 1/2x20 (I got a lock nut). They did not have the same tpe of hitch pin, but they had the regular type that just pulls size:5/33x2 15/16. the washer on the end is 3/4. I got all grade 8 parts and SS where I could. Besides the pin being different, any reason this won't be OK till I get the parts from Teraflex?
Locknuts (at least the nylon type) are not known for strength unless you have the pinched style that came on your stock parts. I would use a grade 5 nut and grade 8 lock washer (the grade 5 nut is plenty strong yet will be a little softer than grade 8 so it will allow the lock washer to dig in a little better.)

I cannot think of any reason why the nut would be gone and the threads on the bolt still look good. if it loosened up enough to fall off it would have done so over a period of time and the loose bolt would have clunked around in the mount .
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi

I didn't use those dinky nylon locks... It is the kind where the nut has little indentions on one side of it. I thought the nyons where called nyla-locks or something. I dunno. These are only grade 5, I used some grade 8 locknuts and flatwashers with them. I am hoping the won't move until I get some replacements.

That is strange the same thing happened to you. Maybe we drive too aggressively?

Think this will be ok? I snapped a couple photos before I wiped it all down:

Last edited by bigbluejk; 03-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

This helps me decide which to buy.....not these.

Quick Reply: teraflex disco/wrangler surprise