Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex BB or winch?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex BB or winch?

help me decide, i already have a RR bumper. but should i order a smittybuilt 8k winch or this teraflex kit...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0000.htm
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if I was you, I would consider getting the coil spring lift if you are consider a winch and bumper. The stock springs sag lots I started with a BB and last week I just installed mid-width and warn winch and lost over 1" of lift due to the weight. The stock coil springs are the limiting factor. So, I am installing the coil springs this weekend to compensate for the weight.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get the lift first. There is no point to having a winch on a stock jeep. You need to be able to go somewhere to get stuck before you need to get yourself out. Go with the lift.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lang1864
Get the lift first. There is no point to having a winch on a stock jeep. You need to be able to go somewhere to get stuck before you need to get yourself out. Go with the lift.
not sure i agree with that. ive gone alot of places in stock vehicles including my jeep. and have gotten them stuck. then had to make phone calls or pay money to get out.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a RR bumper and Smittybilt 8K winch on my 2009 Sahara Unlimited and lost about 5/8" on height. Thought the winch was more important.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am doing the leveling kit with spacers and a winch and bumper all at the same time. I would probably buy the winch instead of the lift though as a winch can get you out of tight jams.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Well, if I was you, I would consider getting the coil spring lift if you are consider a winch and bumper. The stock springs sag lots I started with a BB and last week I just installed mid-width and warn winch and lost over 1" of lift due to the weight. The stock coil springs are the limiting factor. So, I am installing the coil springs this weekend to compensate for the weight.
x2 TripleJeep. If you do the lift, do coil version due to the factory coil sag with a bumper/winch combo. I started with a BB as well and once the bumper/winch went on I hated the resulting stance.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have been saved by my winch on my stock jeep = stuck in the snow in a completely different place then where i told ppl i would be with no cell reception for miles - the winch made my life alot easier - and i totally agree with the springs comment - my front is so low im pretty much ridding the bump stops
Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the winch. It will drop your frount end down but then you buy some inexpensive coil spacers to lif it back to where you want it to be. If you lift it you will want bigger tires to go with it. I went with the bumper and winch first and am very happy that I did.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kking08
help me decide, i already have a RR bumper. but should i order a smittybuilt 8k winch or this teraflex kit...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0000.htm
I went with the winch first since the JK is VERY capable of getting into places without a lift. Haven't had to save myself yet, but did have to pull a cherokee off a tree.
I went with the TF BB after, and, since I have a 2dr, I got the 4-dr Rubi springs to go with the BB. No sag because of the winch and bumper.

Quick Reply: Teraflex BB or winch?