Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex BB and right pull. tried everything.help!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehudson
thanks guys. it was on the alignment rack today and the passenger caster was set to 5.2, the driver to 4.9. They tried extending out the passenger side even more, but still couldn't get it to drive straight.

I just got off the phone with a good guy at TeraFlex and he suggested loosening the bolts to all of the control arms and rocking the jeep around to release any binding, then torquing everything back down. I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow.
Then the caster is not the issue. Caster only pulls to the side with the lesser amount. Since the driver side has the lesser amount, it should drift left in theory, but .3 of a degree is not enough to cause a drift. The caster is not causing your pull. You said you swapped tires left to right. I've seen a radial tire "push" as well as pull. It's uncommon, but it happens. Try rotating them front to back. I know...it's a little work, but we need to eliminate the tires completely. I've been right about tire pulls on here a lot.....though I doubt it this time. It is a possibility, although a slim one. Do you have all of the rest of the alignment specs?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Then the caster is not the issue. Caster only pulls to the side with the lesser amount. Since the driver side has the lesser amount, it should drift left in theory, but .3 of a degree is not enough to cause a drift. The caster is not causing your pull. You said you swapped tires left to right. I've seen a radial tire "push" as well as pull. It's uncommon, but it happens. Try rotating them front to back. I know...it's a little work, but we need to eliminate the tires completely. I've been right about tire pulls on here a lot.....though I doubt it this time. It is a possibility, although a slim one. Do you have all of the rest of the alignment specs?
I've actually rotated the tires on the front, back and forth already, and actually crossed the fronts to the back and moved the backs up front with no change.
my camber is -0.5 (fixed from the factory I know)
toe left 0.12deg and right 0.10 deg
SAI 12 deg left and 13.7 deg right (dont know what this is)
Included angle 12 deg left and 13.2 right (dont know what this is either)
cross camber 0 deg
cross caster -0.3
cross sai -1.7 deg
total toe 0.22 deg

all of these are from a laser alignment machine this morning

thanks so much to all for your help and suggestions
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

Did you fix it???
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Laser alignment machines are not known for their accuracy. I'm a tried and true believer in having physical connections between the alignment heads.....yup, I like the string setup. Yeah, the wind can make it inaccurate, but just shut the shop door. You said you've moved the rear tires to the front. Have you crossed THOSE tires on the front yet?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bikehudson
I've actually rotated the tires on the front, back and forth already, and actually crossed the fronts to the back and moved the backs up front with no change.
my camber is -0.5 (fixed from the factory I know)
toe left 0.12deg and right 0.10 deg
SAI 12 deg left and 13.7 deg right (dont know what this is)
Included angle 12 deg left and 13.2 right (dont know what this is either)
cross camber 0 deg
cross caster -0.3
cross sai -1.7 deg
total toe 0.22 deg

all of these are from a laser alignment machine this morning

thanks so much to all for your help and suggestions
Also...something else you might want to look into. The included angle (this is SAI plus camber) on each side should be the SAME. Yours is not. This is an indication of something bent. Most likely a steering knuckle. That said, I would try to find someone with a Hunter alignment machine that is NOT a laser machine and see what that says. If you get similar results, I would consult a GOOD body/frame shop.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
Did you fix it???
nope, not yet. the alignment was done before this post. everything you see is the latest of my attempts.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Also...something else you might want to look into. The included angle (this is SAI plus camber) on each side should be the SAME. Yours is not. This is an indication of something bent. Most likely a steering knuckle. That said, I would try to find someone with a Hunter alignment machine that is NOT a laser machine and see what that says. If you get similar results, I would consult a GOOD body/frame shop.
This is what I've been afraid of, I've done everything (including crossing the fronts after the tire rotation (basically, every tire has been in every location with no change in the problem)).

I dont know how I could have bent anything though, literally started immediately after the lift install. no wheeling or anything that could have done it.

I will first loosen all of the control arm bolts and the jump up and down on the jeep a bit and re-tighten. Then I will take it to a second alignment shop (if the control arm thing doesn't work). There is one here in town that has an impeccable reputations for 4x4 alignments.

thanks again
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing, even after alignment and all, believe it or not, someone told me jeeps have a natural pull to the right , but my pull sounds like yours where its more than just a slight drift but not exactly a dart. Im just livin with it now, but i would also check your tire pressure, my passenger front tire was a few pounds lower than my drivers side so i aired all tires up equally and it helped, but didnt solve it, good luck!

One more thing, i know its crazy but if youre at the end of your rope, try taking the lift off of the front and see if it still pulls, that is if your tires will clear no problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcrouse
There isnt anything rubbing anywhere is there? just a thought.

Have you checked your spacers? Make sure there isnt anything between the spacer and the hub? You should get a vibration if it were something like that....just trying to think of things you added and didnt mention so far.

-Ben
I took the spacers off and found that I had in fact left the retainer rings on the hubs. pulled them off, re-installed, no change.

thanks for the idea's keep em coming.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAMU Jeeper
Mine does the same thing, even after alignment and all, believe it or not, someone told me jeeps have a natural pull to the right , but my pull sounds like yours where its more than just a slight drift but not exactly a dart. Im just livin with it now, but i would also check your tire pressure, my passenger front tire was a few pounds lower than my drivers side so i aired all tires up equally and it helped, but didnt solve it, good luck!

One more thing, i know its crazy but if youre at the end of your rope, try taking the lift off of the front and see if it still pulls, that is if your tires will clear no problem.
Yeah, I've been told the same thing, all though the change in caster should correct for that "natural" pull. Checked the tires, all equal. I may just have to take the lift off and give it a shot.

thanks man.

Quick Reply: Teraflex BB and right pull. tried everything.help!