Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex ball joint life

Old 01-27-2018, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
I've had the same stock ball joints on for the last 7 years and no problems. Maybe I won't be doing this "upgrade". Hmmm...
Yup, 42k miles so far on my stockers most of which running 35's. I'm thinking if I ever need to replace, just do another set of the OEM ones.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Negative not yet, but it's the driver side top ball joint that's gone bad...which isn't adjustable like the lowers.

Have you needed to re-torque/adjust the preload on the lowers already?
Gotcha, I have not needed to make any adjustment to them at all. When I pulled the axle they were still tight.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought some Alloy USA ball joints. They gotta be better than the stockers I have now. Hope the instal goes smoothly. In the summer I may gusset and sleeve my D44.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jray02r1
I just bought some Alloy USA ball joints. They gotta be better than the stockers I have now. Hope the instal goes smoothly. In the summer I may gusset and sleeve my D44.
They have a 5yr warranty but lasted 2yrs on my TJ that moves between 31's and 35's depending on the season. They've been replaced with Moog's that were significantly thicker and had a larger cap for grease retention and load distribution.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 PM
Former Member

Moog for us also, as Teraflex, Fox and a few other brands would never see the light of day on our jeep.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My JKUR sees a lot of street miles and really only hits the trails a few times a year. Right now it has 33's. Hoping to add a 2.5" or maybe 3" lift soon. Like I said I will probably sleeve and gusset the front in the summer. I have to repaint everything again anyways. I'm hoping the Alloy USA balljoints hold up for the type of use I need them to. If i have to pull them out and warranty them in a couple years it's no biggy.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
Moog for us also, as Teraflex, Fox and a few other brands would never see the light of day on our jeep.
Why? Two great brands.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 AM
Former Member

Our build clearly states we're avoiding anything North American made. Other than the fact that we've opted for the Rockkrawler suspension upgrade. I mean if you want more details or clarification on why we're avoiding companies like this, I'll gladdy share this information with you in person. Other than it being our opinion, nor get in the middle of reasonings or product issues. Our reasoning is just that, our reasonings.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by jray02r1
My JKUR sees a lot of street miles and really only hits the trails a few times a year. Right now it has 33's. Hoping to add a 2.5" or maybe 3" lift soon. Like I said I will probably sleeve and gusset the front in the summer. I have to repaint everything again anyways. I'm hoping the Alloy USA balljoints hold up for the type of use I need them to. If i have to pull them out and warranty them in a couple years it's no biggy.
Research up a bit, sleeves really just aren't worth the money....better spent elsewhere. Slap gussets on and go have fun. Outside of some offroad rollover, your highly unlikely to bend the axle.....unless your idea of offroading is baja style catching big air.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
Our build clearly states we're avoiding anything North American made. Other than the fact that we've opted for the Rockkrawler suspension upgrade. I mean if you want more details or clarification on why we're avoiding companies like this, I'll gladdy share this information with you in person. Other than it being our opinion, nor get in the middle of reasonings or product issues. Our reasoning is just that, our reasonings.
Huh...you're avoiding American companies because they won't walk you through every install, no matter the difficulty level? That's what your build states.

Originally Posted by resharp001
Research up a bit, sleeves really just aren't worth the money....better spent elsewhere. Slap gussets on and go have fun. Outside of some offroad rollover, your highly unlikely to bend the axle.....unless your idea of offroading is baja style catching big air.
Yeah sleeves are a joke. Buy a truss and gusset set, weld them on during the weekend. Easy.

Anyways, these Teraflex ball joints are apparently on back order until mid March -____- sooooo, great! They (Teraflex) are sending me a preload adjustment tool to check the preload on the lowers, as they've "never heard of a failure yet." What good is a lifetime warranty when they don't even have the parts on hand, or even a reasonable lead time on the parts?

Probably going to take a refund from Teraflex and apply it towards the Rare Parts ball joints...

Quick Reply: Teraflex ball joint life