Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex or AEV lift?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe go with different shocks, King,Fox,Bilstein,Elka's.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

OK, I admit my lack of lift knowledge, but what's the difference between the TeraFlex 2.5" and AEV's 2.5" progressive spring lift?

What makes a spring progressive?

From the pics I've seen it looks like the TeraFlex kit w/coils/shocks does a pretty good job leveling, too.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Progressive are more friendly on the road. Most people drive on-road as well as off-road, so you find a lot of people using AEV or others progressive springs on the Jeeps they drive everyday.

Progressive Springs (Rising Rate Springs, Progressive Rate Springs, Progressive Wound Springs) In progressive springs each coil is spaced differently and have a variable spring rate. When free, it is easy to compress progressive springs for first centimeters. As you apply more forces, coil on a progressive spring come closer. After a certain point, coil at the top 1/4 of progressive springs begin to touch each other and finally become inactive or dead, and that makes the spring stiffer. Apply more forces to a progressive spring then it becomes stiffer because as the number of active coils in a spring decreases, the spring rate increases. So, progressive springs may both be sensitive to very small bumps on the road, while giving the stiffness you need during hard braking and turning.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Thanks, Dave!

What are the benefits of non-progressive springs? I'm assuming the TeraFlex is not of the progressive variety? Would it still do well in a daily driver?

I guess, what are the pros/cons of each kit?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snowbdr88
Thanks, Dave!

What are the benefits of non-progressive springs? I'm assuming the TeraFlex is not of the progressive variety? Would it still do well in a daily driver?

The primary advantage of progressive springs is their ability to bear weight. For example, if you put 350lbs of gear in the jeep a regular spring will compress more than a progressive spring. This helps to avoid sag and bottoming out when loaded. Progressive springs are often used in expedition vehicles because of all the additional weight. They won't compress as much as regular spring which leads to less articulation. Rock crawlers prefer more articulation because a wheel in the air has no traction. For daily ride progressive rides better but won't move as much Offroad. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snowbdr88
Thanks, Dave!

Non- progressive or linear coils are easier to predict body roll and when you come out of corners.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your input everyone. I think I'll be going with the TeraFlex lift. I'm not sure if the AEV will come with new shocks.

On a side note, is there anything else I will need to go along with the lift (other then tires of course) such as a steering stabilizer, and should I get bilstein 5100 shocks? Or are the TeraFlex ones pretty good?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also running the Tereflex lift w/shocks. It rides a little stiffer than my Rubi coils and shocks did, but performs much better off road. It also drives better than stock on the freeway. I did get an adjustable front trackbar, but you wouldn't need to.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Does anything else need to be extended with the TeraFlex?

Last edited by snowbdr88; 09-26-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Default TF

I have a TF 2.5" coil lift and added a leveling kit to get her up to 3.5-4" lift, I am very impressed with the quality of the TF equipment. I have AEV equipment as well, not a lift though but AEV is making quality stuff as well.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex or AEV lift?