Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 6" Long Arm - Too Much/high?

Old 12-25-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 6" Long Arm - Too Much/high?

This is my first post, been reading a lot 'your' info already; point being, I need some help. I am looking to get a JK rubi' unlimited and I was thinking of installing a 4" or 6" teraflex. I realize that the drivetrain will have to be modified, but to what extent?
Beyond that, is a 6" too much for practical and hardcore offroading? Planning on running 37x13.5x18, 4.88 or 5.13 gears, etc

any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Food for thought...

I know a lot of people who start with a built jeep, never wheel it stock, and have little or no off road experience. They never get a feel for what the rig can do stock, or the feel for off camber situations, etc.

When they get into their lifted monster truck, and THEN start off roading for the first time, they have no idea what they are doing, but, as they have a rig built for black/red trails, they go with others who are similarly equipped on these difficult trails.

The others who have more experience, have learned the basics of control and technique, the newbie has not, and, gets into real trouble, as the truck is more capable than the driver....much like a guy who has never flown before getting into a fighter plane, and being sent off to Iraq to win dog fights or something...

IE: Your question indicates that perhaps you are overbuilding in anticipation of the fun to be had in the future...but that you really are not ready for reasonably safe off camber lifted rig adventures.

If you were ready, you would not be asking about the height, etc....normally.

If you are an experienced off roader who's run lifted rigs and is comfortable in off camber/potential roll situations, and are asking the above question for other reasons....no offense intended, just being a bit motherly/protective.

As for the specifics....the more lift, the more severe the driveline angle back down to the diffs, and the more you will be doing to relieve those angles with extra joints, etc.

Depending upon your terrain, and the break over angles you might face in your unlimited, you might need a lot of lift to clear obstacles....and real skid plates, etc....If not, then in general, you want as low a center of gravity as possible, for stability. The more lift, the harder it is to do hill climbs, side hills, etc....lift really is just for ground clearance of the frame.

Larger tires lift the diffs/axles. ..which of course ALSO lift the frame, etc.

You can fit larger tires with a Body Lift, and less suspension lift, which helps to keep the COG down, as a BL doesn't raise the COG much at all compared to an SL...the body being light. A set of flat fenders, etc, can also make room for larger tires, w/o impact on your COG, etc.

In short, there's more than one way to skin the clearance cat.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by buttsbd
This is my first post, been reading a lot 'your' info already; point being, I need some help. I am looking to get a JK rubi' unlimited and I was thinking of installing a 4" or 6" teraflex. I realize that the drivetrain will have to be modified, but to what extent?
Beyond that, is a 6" too much for practical and hardcore offroading? Planning on running 37x13.5x18, 4.88 or 5.13 gears, etc

any advice is appreciated.
No matter what you do to your Jeep, There will always be bigger rocks and deeper mud. Think about how much you are willing to spend in parts and have fun.(legally)
Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input....

I have never owned a jeep but I have a lot of offroading experience in other vehicles of similar heights; I initially planned on a 4" lift with 35's and regearing of course, but after reading some posts on 37's, I thought, maybe.
I live in phoenix; a lot of the terrain is sandy or rocky (boulders). I thought the 6" with 37's would help me clear those tall rocks, but at what cost, especially in the extra length of the unlimited jk.

All the info helps.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had it to do again and had an unlimted budget, I would definately go with a 6" long-arm system with 38 or 39" tires. Have fun.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

I can tell you from my point of view with 4" and 37s if I was to flex out any on rock or other items in the road I would rather do the 6" but it cost you a little bit of ground clearence do to the longer arms you can go with a 4" short arm cost you some flex and use a set of spacers up front and flat fenders and run 37s and not worry about tire rubbing
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with a 6'' long arm and 37's there shouldn't be too much that'll give ya trouble. Thats a mean jeep

Quick Reply: Teraflex 6" Long Arm - Too Much/high?