Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 3" vs Rock Krawler 3.5" vs Old Man Emu HD

Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex 3" vs Rock Krawler 3.5" vs Old Man Emu HD

I was looking at these three kits and had a couple questions. I have gone back and fourth so many times between these and I'm am nearing the decision.

Do they all net around the same? I really dont wanna do driveshafts on my 2door manual yet.

Also, I am looking to start with the Northridge OME kit with trackbars, the Rock Krawler 3.5" entry with Emu shocks, or the teraflex 3" with Emu shocks.

Pics and final advise would be great!

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by klutz1001
I was looking at these three kits and had a couple questions. I have gone back and fourth so many times between these and I'm am nearing the decision.

Do they all net around the same? I really dont wanna do driveshafts on my 2door manual yet.

Also, I am looking to start with the Northridge OME kit with trackbars, the Rock Krawler 3.5" entry with Emu shocks, or the teraflex 3" with Emu shocks.

Thanks
while they all net about the same, the OME kit will sit closer to 3", the RK 3.5" and the TF closer to 4". if you run any of these lifts, you WILL need to replace your rear drive shaft sooner than later as the angles placed on the joints will cause the boots to fail prematurely. this is not a "might" but a "will".
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Understand that there are two versions of the OME lift: one with regular duty springs and one with heavy duty springs. If you don't specify your springs, Northridge will ship the kit with the HD springs.

I've got the regular springs and netted a little under 3" of lift. You'll be looking at closer to 4" with the HD springs--and then you'll definitely need the rear drive shaft like WOL says.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klutz1001

Thanks
How big of tires do you want to end up running? A TeraFlex 2.5" coil kit will clear 35's, but a 3" kit on a 2dr makes for a big kit. If you do the 3" I would replace install f/r driveshafts, f/r trackbars and replace all the control arms. It's better to replace a driveshaft in the driveway than on the side of the road/trail.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 619/618 OME HD's which are the 4dr springs on a 2dr Rubicon. I ended up with 3". I already had a bumper and winch on the front before the spring swap. The springs took care of the rake and the Rubicon sits level now.

I can't say anything bad about the OME springs, they are the only OME parts I am running. Doing it over, I'd stick with one brand, as I have Currie/OME/Teraflex parts. OME doesn't make a full blown kit just some minor suspension parts.

That way if you add more parts later they will work with the existing parts. It's also a lot less of a hassle 5-10 years down the road, to remember what all your parts are if they are one brand and you need to replace a bushing or anything else that will wear out.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

So it sounds like Rock Krawler is out? Are the OME and Teraflex 2.5" gonna give me the save lift even when I add bumpers and a winch? BTW I am only going to 35's but they will be the mtr/k so it will be a true 35
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

If you go with Teraflex go with the 2.5" lift if you are going to run 35s. If you were to go with the 3" lift also expect to address the steering geometry. You'll get a lot of feedback from the tires in the steering wheel and a lot of bump steer which can make driving on the freeway interesting.

Teraflex - I started with the 3" kit with full flex arms and both trackbars. I ended up swapping in the 2.5" coils. Have you ever considered offering the 3" kit with the 2.5" coils as a 2-door 3" kit? The reason I ask is because I'm glad I got the stuff from the 3" kit like the rear spring alignment spacers, the bigger trackbar bracket and the brake lines. I think that stuff might be appropriate for the 2 door guys running the 2.5" springs.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc_D
If you go with Teraflex go with the 2.5" lift if you are going to run 35s. If you were to go with the 3" lift also expect to address the steering geometry. You'll get a lot of feedback from the tires in the steering wheel and a lot of bump steer which can make driving on the freeway interesting.

Teraflex - I started with the 3" kit with full flex arms and both trackbars. I ended up swapping in the 2.5" coils. Have you ever considered offering the 3" kit with the 2.5" coils as a 2-door 3" kit? The reason I ask is because I'm glad I got the stuff from the 3" kit like the rear spring alignment spacers, the bigger trackbar bracket and the brake lines. I think that stuff might be appropriate for the 2 door guys running the 2.5" springs.
TeraFlex will offer 2dr 2.5" coils soon. In a few months there will 2dr/4dr specific kits.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the regular springs and netted a little under 3" of lift. You'll be looking at closer to 4" with the HD springs--and then you'll definitely need the rear drive shaft like WOL says.
We have installed many kits and have never seen 4" out of the OME HD springs. I have seen people mention it on line but never in person which seems very odd to me.

Also like others have said the Teraflex 2.5" kit is a very nice kit also.

Dont think you can go wrong with either of them.

David

Quick Reply: Teraflex 3" vs Rock Krawler 3.5" vs Old Man Emu HD