Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 3' lift with 8 flex arms ?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teraflex springs to stiff? I know a rough ride is all in the opinion of the passenger/driver.. I will only give my example. I took my dad to Moab a few weeks ago, he's 80 yrs old and has always had back issues and usually has a sore back after a 6HR drive...etc... He didn't have any back issues on our trip.. we are 6 1/2 hrs away and we did fins-n-things the first day we got there, then metal masher the 2nd day, then seven mile rim and arches national park... the only remarks he made where that the trails got bumpy at the end of the day and that he was amazed at how comportable the Jeep was and that his back was feeling really good.. I haven't had another brand of lift, two Jeeps both Teraflex lifts, so I don't have anything elso but OEM to compare them to.. From my experience I'm not sure why so many think the teraflex springs are so stiff.... With that said, there are probalby better springs not as stiff, etc... but if your going to replace the springs I would just find a different lift... Having this lift for almost two years now and wheeling pretty hard I do think for a hard off road lift there is probably a better one out there, (I've had to rebuild one control arm bushing) but this lift is still a really good one. It's holding up really real with 20000+ mile and some hard off roading behind it.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 03-23-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raising your rear roll center (using an axle side bracket) is a better option than the frame side drop bracket.

You don't need all 8 flex arms. If you are running a stock rear shaft, just get the front lowers to adjust your caster. The stock rear arms are long enough and will offer enough articulation "flex" to match the shocks with the kit.

You don't need a high steer kit for the front but an adjustable track bar is nice. Centers the front axle and takes care of any clearance issues associated with an off-centered axle. Or keep your stock trac bar and get a high steer kit (drag link flip + raised track bar bracket).

But Teraflex does make good stuff. Enjoy your jeep
Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
What bumper is that? Looks like factory with some d ring mounts
rampage stubby
Old 03-23-2015, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I initially did TF's 4 inch kit with 8 arms and 3" springs. The kit included their front track bar. It needed a drag link flip and track bar raise to kill bump steer. The biggest issue was TF's setup specs for the front arms being way wrong, they're like 1" too long, which caused all kinds of handling issues and component interference. Once we sorted it out by using Synergy's front specs all was well.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI - the primary reason I installed an adjustable HD front track bar while doing the lift was in preparation for larger tires. The stock track bar has a lot of flex in it when you pair it with big tires. It wasn't strictly a requirement at this time. As I mentioned, I went with the 4-arm kit (front lowers to correct caster and rear uppers to adjust pinion angle). It saved me several hundred dollars and was actually the recommendation of TF based on my needs.

Also, note that I netted 4.5" of lift over stock specs with the 3" kit.

As far as the spring stiffness - I think this is going to depend largely on how much weight you have on your Jeep, too. My front springs are very comfortable, but they're under the weight of an aftermarket bumper and winch. My rear springs are still suspending the OEM bumper and seem much stiffer - especially over small bumps like speed bumps. I haven't run it off-road yet (I installed it a week ago and still have a few things to clean up first), but I expect it to soak up the terrain very well.

One more thing: if you opt to go with the 4-arm kit, don't use the rear upper arm measurements that TF provides with them - they set the pinion angle way too high (this is one of the things I need to correct - I ended up with +10-degrees joint angle). I called TF and they told me that the measurements were good if you're installing the rear uppers and lowers, but with just the uppers, the measurement is too long and they were trying to get the documentation updated.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor and skip the exhaust spacers. Get a good 1310 from <insert favorite ds vendor here> and be done. You'll be better of in the long run because not only does it address the exhaust issue but more importantly addresses the angle issue caused by the lift and increased droop.

Get the front track bar too. TF knows they should include it but they are trying to cover price points. Not every vendor is on the flip kit either. Metalcloak doesn't in part because most flip kits are going to require 3" of bump. Every inch of bump is less flex.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
Do yourself a favor and skip the exhaust spacers. Get a good 1310 from <insert favorite ds vendor here> and be done. You'll be better of in the long run because not only does it address the exhaust issue but more importantly addresses the angle issue caused by the lift and increased droop. Get the front track bar too. TF knows they should include it but they are trying to cover price points. Not every vendor is on the flip kit either. Metalcloak doesn't in part because most flip kits are going to require 3" of bump. Every inch of bump is less flex.
X2 on replacing front DS and ditching the spacers.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X-3 on the driveline ditching exhaust spacers, over 42,000 miles using this set up no issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe_B
Raising your rear roll center (using an axle side bracket) is a better option than the frame side drop bracket.

You don't need all 8 flex arms. If you are running a stock rear shaft, just get the front lowers to adjust your caster. The stock rear arms are long enough and will offer enough articulation "flex" to match the shocks with the kit.

You don't need a high steer kit for the front but an adjustable track bar is nice. Centers the front axle and takes care of any clearance issues associated with an off-centered axle. Or keep your stock trac bar and get a high steer kit (drag link flip + raised track bar bracket).

But Teraflex does make good stuff. Enjoy your jeep

I have already bought the 8 arm kit so most likely I will get the adjustable front trackbar.

I have installed the BushWacker flat fenders and some other small stuff but I just want to do it right the first time around and not say a few months from now...whish I would have done that too

I appreciate all of the help guys I probably won't install the lift for a few weeks from now but I will report back and let you all know how it went.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you will love the kit. Here is my 3" TF.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1814885207.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	603159

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 3' lift with 8 flex arms ?