Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift - TESTED

Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up!

With the regular non-spring 2.5BB that I installed I had a bitch of a time with the sway bar extension too. I had to do some pounding and bending on it before I could get the thing in there and then the holes to lines up.

Originally I had mounted my sway bar links on both the inside of the axle mount and the inside of the sway bar. I ran it like that for about a month. Then I developed some sort of squeaking back there. I took the links off and mounted them on the other side of those mounts and no more squeaking.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZ-JK
Disconnected on the trail it was tough to get a tire to lift and also to compress... but I managed! It has good travel and I can only imagine how much better it would be with longer shocks. The tires stayed on the ground and didnt skip or bounce. It didnt creek or bind, and everything operated smoothly. I had no issues with springs popping out, even without the rear spring retention clips. It is solid and performed very well. I would recommend this to anybody.
Nice post AZ-JK!

It looks like your 33's got stuffed into the fenders fairly deep (and you have an added 3/4" spacer). Did you have any clearance issues? And along that same note, do you think this coil kit would have sufficient clearance for a 34" or 35" tire? Thanks.

Last edited by JK-Rubi; 07-27-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Upper shock extender weak link?

I have been noticing several posts regarding problems with the rubber bushings on the upper front shock mounts in general, but more specifically, I have the TeraFlex front shock extenders, and tore the heck out of the "stepped" bushing (top) after some pretty heavy wheeling. I believe this is due to the weakness you predicted.
I ordered the Mopar part ($1.00) and replaced it, but am concerned.
I would echo your point that the instructions as to where to place the two different rubber bushings are contradictory, and I even phoned Joe at TeraFlex yesterday to discuss it with him and he was not aware that TF specs are opposite to the OEM, but thought it wouldn't matter.
On another point, I would also concur that the rear trackbar relo bracket template could be more robust and precise. I actually relied more on taking measurements from the bracket itself before drilling the frame, and would recommend others do the same.
Finally, my front sway bar links are also angled more than I'd like, with the torqued bolts providing the final alignment in the installation. I've had my lift installed for about three months now, and overall I'm pleased. It may be as good as a "budget boost" is gonna get.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
I have been noticing several posts regarding problems with the rubber bushings on the upper front shock mounts in general, but more specifically, I have the TeraFlex front shock extenders, and tore the heck out of the "stepped" bushing (top) after some pretty heavy wheeling. I believe this is due to the weakness you predicted.
I ordered the Mopar part ($1.00) and replaced it, but am concerned.
I would echo your point that the instructions as to where to place the two different rubber bushings are contradictory, and I even phoned Joe at TeraFlex yesterday to discuss it with him and he was not aware that TF specs are opposite to the OEM, but thought it wouldn't matter.
On another point, I would also concur that the rear trackbar relo bracket template could be more robust and precise. I actually relied more on taking measurements from the bracket itself before drilling the frame, and would recommend others do the same.
Finally, my front sway bar links are also angled more than I'd like, with the torqued bolts providing the final alignment in the installation. I've had my lift installed for about three months now, and overall I'm pleased. It may be as good as a "budget boost" is gonna get.
OK just verified that those are to be installed with stepped center down. I am going work on getting those pics on our instructions enlarged.

VA_Rubi_Red PM your address to me please!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Well done on the write-up. I didn't add the extra spacer and my Caster angle is 2.5 and axle shifted 1/2". I feel the combination give me a flighty steering feeling quite often and is more than likely for the occassional ESP. I will be able to prove this once I switch out the lift for a 3.5" lift. These are two components I'm requiring in my next lift anyways.

This one get's the job done (low investment)

I only got the spacer 2.5" with extensions.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Nice post AZ-JK!

It looks like your 33's got stuffed into the fenders fairly deep (and you have an added 3/4" spacer). Did you have any clearance issues? And along that same note, do you think this coil kit would have sufficient clearance for a 34" or 35" tire? Thanks.
If you look at that pic, the front tire is pretty close to the edge of the fender... but it NEVER rubbed. I was watching and listening. This camera angle makes it look a little tighter than it is. Also, keep in mind that I have wheels with 3.75" BS. Therefore the tire is pushed pretty far outside. If the backspacing was a little more (closer to the frame rather than the outside) the tire would tuck right up into the well where there is prob another 2" of clearance. The more I wheel this setup, the more sure I am that 35's would fit with zero rubbing. Also, like to point out that 35" tires vary in actual height from mfg to mfg. Still, I think its all good and def the way I will go after I tear a little more tread off of these 33's!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have to say that I have since added an adj track bar up front and both front and rear adj upper contol arms. This def helped the slightly flighty steering. The track bar alone made a big differenece and I recommend it. Its not really fair for me to evaluate the whole setup completely, yet... both my tie rod and drag link are severely taco'ed. New Rock Krawler HD parts should be here next week and then I expect this thing to ride perfectly!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have to say that I have since added an adj track bar up front and both front and rear adj upper contol arms. This def helped the slightly flighty steering. The track bar alone made a big differenece and I recommend it. Its not really fair for me to evaluate the whole setup completely, yet... both my tie rod and drag link are severely taco'ed. New Rock Krawler HD parts should be here next week and then I expect this thing to ride perfectly!
Have loosened your lower control arm bolts on both ends on both sets, rock the JK side to side, retighten?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

The more I wheel this setup, the more sure I am that 35's would fit with zero rubbing. Also, like to point out that 35" tires vary in actual height from mfg to mfg. Still, I think its all good and def the way I will go after I tear a little more tread off of these 33's!
Thanks for your thoughts.

I also have to say that I have since added an adj track bar up front and both front and rear adj upper contol arms. This def helped the slightly flighty steering.
Total newbie here, but I'm absolutely convinced that unless caster angle - and I'm talking about when it has "drifted" several degrees off stock settings - is addressed (i.e., with control arms) folks are going to experience flightly steering, or worse (Wobble of Death).
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I was always under the impression that caster would have the greatest effect on steering feel as well.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift - TESTED