Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5" Problem

Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK703
But whats strange is it seems like it is happening to all 4 of them? I just want to clear this up a little, I did not buy the lift kit as an entire kit, I bought it in installments because of funds.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16195_0000.htm - Front Shocks
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16195_0003.htm - Rear Shocks
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16194_9006.htm - Front Springs
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16194_9007.htm - Rear Springs
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16197_1010.htm - Front Bumpstops
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_60X_PG.htm - Endlinks minus the quick disconnects.

Have the stock spring spacers still in place along with the stock bumpstops. There is only about an inch gap between the bumpstops, thus causing my suspension to bumpstop out quickly. So I took out the teraflex bumpstops to see if anything changed, just caused the shocks to deaden out before the stock bumpstops.
Did you get rear bumpstops? I got the 2.5 Teraflex lift on my '08 JK on the rear you should have rear bump stops and trackbar relocation bracket. If you don't have bumpstops on rear, you may be bottoming out your shocks.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by balmorjk

Did you get rear bumpstops? I got the 2.5 Teraflex lift on my '08 JK on the rear you should have rear bump stops and trackbar relocation bracket. If you don't have bumpstops on rear, you may be bottoming out your shocks.
His point is that he shouldn't be bottoming out his shocks with less than 3" of up travel.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by balmorjk
I do have them, they aren't installed right now because at first I thought they were causing the problems, but they are not the problem.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

One thing I dont see in any pics are the teraflex supplied bump stops. you can easily damage the springs and shocks by bottoming them completely. I have bent a few shafts in my TJ not running the correct bump stops. It appears you have the wrong shocks or they may have been damaged. up travel needs to be controlled, not just for tire rubbing.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjones
One thing I dont see in any pics are the teraflex supplied bump stops. you can easily damage the springs and shocks by bottoming them completely. I have bent a few shafts in my TJ not running the correct bump stops. It appears you have the wrong shocks or they may have been damaged. up travel needs to be controlled, not just for tire rubbing.
Like I already stated, the bumpstops were installed, but I took them out just to see if they were stopping travel when I first encountered it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what do you guys think I should do in terms of a solution? I ordered the shocks from Quadratec, they are the wrong size even though Quadratec labeled them as 2.5-4". Which obviously there is a difference between a 2.5" lift and a 4" lift. Should I contact TeraFlex and tell them Quadratec sent me the wrong shocks? Or see if Quadratec will exchange them? Or what?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really wish it wasn't MOAB weekend so I could get in touch with the Teraflex rep.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi

If u bought em from qtec u will need to talk to them and have them send u the right ones. There is a qtec rep on here as well. U could also call em on the phone.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with Quadratec, and am waiting on them to call Teraflex. I really don't know what to expect as a solution because it is such a weird case. I know hundreds of people have bought the exact kit I have, and have had no problems with it. Have sent the TF rep a PM waiting on response as well as to hear back from Qtec.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Double Checked my model numbers on my shocks that are still installed, and they are 1554200 (rear) 1553200 (front) which are the 3-4" shocks according to Teraflex. Since I have the 2.5-3" springs, there really should not be as much of an issue of deadening out as I am having.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" Problem