Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5" Problem

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beau
If the rod end is not coming close to the body of the shock. Then I would still remove the shock and cycle it to see if your assumptions are correct. There may be a manufacturing flaw in one of them and you could get it replaced. It shouldn't take too long to remove it and see if your guess about the shock is right or wrong. Shocks will typically compress almost the entire way into the body.
But whats strange is it seems like it is happening to all 4 of them? I just want to clear this up a little, I did not buy the lift kit as an entire kit, I bought it in installments because of funds.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16195_0000.htm - Front Shocks
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16195_0003.htm - Rear Shocks
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16194_9006.htm - Front Springs
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16194_9007.htm - Rear Springs
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16197_1010.htm - Front Bumpstops
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16191_60X_PG.htm - Endlinks minus the quick disconnects.

Have the stock spring spacers still in place along with the stock bumpstops. There is only about an inch gap between the bumpstops, thus causing my suspension to bumpstop out quickly. So I took out the teraflex bumpstops to see if anything changed, just caused the shocks to deaden out before the stock bumpstops.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
either your shocks are all too short or something is binding. pull your shocks and jump on the bumper and see if it travels more. or snap a pic of your shock mounted. how much shock shaft is showing? pics help
Rear shocks are only 1-1.5" of shock shaft showing. Which obviously is wrong. Front however is like 6" but deadens out after about 2" of travel. I cannot pull them tonight, but will shortly.

Do you think there is a chance that they sent me short shocks? I don't know how that would be possible.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyshackleford
either your shocks are all too short or something is binding. pull your shocks and jump on the bumper and see if it travels more. or snap a pic of your shock mounted. how much shock shaft is showing? pics help
X2..Post some pics of your suspension.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2..Post some pics of your suspension.
I have class until 10pm tonight. Will post pics first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK703
Rear shocks are only 1-1.5" of shock shaft showing. Which obviously is wrong. Front however is like 6" but deadens out after about 2" of travel. I cannot pull them tonight, but will shortly.

Do you think there is a chance that they sent me short shocks? I don't know how that would be possible.
Well your rear shocks are wrong then, but your fronts should still not be bottoming out after a couple inches. How are you applying the load to the suspension? Are you just jumping on the bumper? I have TF springs and those things are stiff as hell.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also is there anyway to adjust the stiffness of the 9550 TF Shocks that might have been set to extremely soft? I don't think there is, but just wondering.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well your rear shocks are wrong then, but your fronts should still not be bottoming out after a couple inches. How are you applying the load to the suspension? Are you just jumping on the bumper? I have TF springs and those things are stiff as hell.
Yes, by jumping on my bumpers. And yes, the springs are def. stiff.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does the TeraFlex rep. on here respond to PMs?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

He does but they are all in Moab!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JK703

Have the stock spring spacers still in place along with the stock bumpstops. There is only about an inch gap between the bumpstops, thus causing my suspension to bumpstop out quickly. So I took out the teraflex bumpstops to see if anything changed, just caused the shocks to deaden out before the stock bumpstops.
Sounds like you may have shocks that expect the whole suspension to be a lot taller than it sits with just the spacers in place. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until the TF springs are installed. I think you are sitting at what will be close to the maximum compression of your new springs.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" Problem