Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5" Problem

Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TeraFlex 2.5" Problem

I have a problem with my lift. I have had a friend/mechanic check it over and we have come to a conclusion of where the problem lies. I have this exact lift, "http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2500_07.htm" on 34" Duratracs with Sahara 18" stock wheels and 1.5" spacers. The problem lies in the shocks. They are deadening out after only about 3" of travel with many more to go in the bump-stops and springs. Everything is set up correctly, wondering why my shocks would be deadening out so fast? I am posting here prior to calling Teraflex tomorrow. I know they have great customer service just wanted to see what you all thought. Plus its after hours.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm gonna bump this because I posted it last night probably after most people went to sleep. Any information that you guys can enlighten me with?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just keep bumping cus post get lost really fast.... free bump
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Just keep bumping cus post get lost really fast.... free bump
Thanks for the bump
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say dead out after 3 inches do you mean that the shock bottoming out? Or does the shock/s not react the same after the first 3 inches of travel?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richtor
When you say dead out after 3 inches do you mean that the shock bottoming out? Or does the shock/s not react the same after the first 3 inches of travel?
As far as I understand, there is a metal stopping point inside of the shock to prevent it from traveling further than it is supposed to and mine are hitting that stopping point with very limited amount of travel. For instance just jumping on the bumper is causing it to hit that stopping spot in the shock
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still Nothing? Posts do get lost fast on this forum now don't they!

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK703
Still Nothing? Posts do get lost fast on this forum now don't they!
Sounds pretty strange. Have you removed the shock and tried compressing it outside of the jeep. That way you could ensure it is the shock that is causing the travel stop and not something else binding.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beau
Sounds pretty strange. Have you removed the shock and tried compressing it outside of the jeep. That way you could ensure it is the shock that is causing the travel stop and not something else binding.
I have not, but just by looking at the springs as we bounced it there seemed to be no problem. I am wondering if they sent me shorter shocks than what should have been in the kit?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK703

I have not, but just by looking at the springs as we bounced it there seemed to be no problem. I am wondering if they sent me shorter shocks than what should have been in the kit?
If the rod end is not coming close to the body of the shock. Then I would still remove the shock and cycle it to see if your assumptions are correct. There may be a manufacturing flaw in one of them and you could get it replaced. It shouldn't take too long to remove it and see if your guess about the shock is right or wrong. Shocks will typically compress almost the entire way into the body.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" Problem