Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5" lift with spacers question?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5" lift with spacers question?

I have a 2014 JKU sport. I started with a leveling kit from teraflex, but had to go bigger. I got the 2.5" coil lift kit from teraflex and Bilstein (24-146715 & 24-146708) 5100 Series Shock. I guy I know installed it for me. It looks good, but driving it seems a little off. I can feel almost every little bump on the highway. I thought it was the air pressure so I lowered to about 30psi from 40psi, still the same thing. I did straighten the steering wheel, while under there I made sure everything was tight and I noticed something. The guy who installed it left the pucks in there from the leveling kit. The leveling kit came with 2 one inch pucks in the front and 1 - one inch puck in the rear. He said he left one inch pucks all around to compensate for my heavier bumpers (rear and front) and larger tire (33" Nitto Trail Grapplers) on the tire carrier. I hate to go back to him and ask him to take the pucks out, as he is a pretty good guy and hate to question his judgement. I've trusted him for years on my other vehicles (trucks) and don't want to upset him and lose him as my go to mechanic for my other vehicles. The question I have is:

1. I am I safe with this set up? 2.5" coil lift with one in spacers. Maybe essentially a 3.5" lift.
2. If it is ok, would the shocks I got be sufficient enough?
3. Do Jeeps just drive worse the higher lift they have?

Your comments and input would be greatly appreciated.

Just to add, I don't wheel as much as I would like, maybe once a month on old logging trails that haven't been used in years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0021[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	605177Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0028[1].jpg
Views:	271
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	605178
Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Some of us feel that the 5100 is a bit too stiff for our lighter JK's, more fitting for full size trucks. Others like them, just personal opinion/preference.

How much actual lift over stock would you say you have now? The specs I found for those shock numbers say 2 - 3.5" lift, so you should be somewhere close to the upper limit? Should be ok, you just won't have the downtravel a longer shock would give.

Also worth mentioning is that as you go taller, the caster goes down, making the steering a bit flightier. If you choose to correct it, look into some form of caster correction. The brakelines will also be a bit tighter, so be sure to flex it and check. Assuming you are up around 3.5", you should make a habit of crawling underneath to check the driveshaft boots. You are also in the range where people start looking into flips to correct the steeper steering angles. If you choose to correct it, spend the money for a flip rather than a drop pitman. Also with the extra height comes more axle shift. If they are offset too far, look into a rear trackbar bracket and a front adjustable.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could toss some AEV Geo Correction Brackets? $100 and won't take long to install. It helped me a bit...
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running 2.5" TF coils and TF 1" spacers for about 25,000 miles with no issues. I have adjustable control arms to adjust castor so mine drive just like stock (not flighty or sensitive).
Old 04-07-2015, 03:36 AM
JK Freak

I ran almost this same setup. All lift will impact house your jeep handles and drives.

However I did install the AEV correction brackets and WOW! What a difference. This was huge IMO!

Next I replaced my draglink with a synergy! Again... Big difference!

Then I removed the rear trackbar drop bracket and did a raised Artec trackbar bracket in the back. Again improved handling.

I have switched to actual 3.5 coils and will be doing the draglink flip, with the sector shaft and trackbar brace from synergy.

It all adds up slowly but makes a huge difference!
Old 04-07-2015, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

I'll also add that the 5100's are tight! I'll be changing those out some time. I want them a bit softer!

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5" lift with spacers question?