Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5 inch budget boost questions

Old 12-26-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5 inch budget boost questions

I have read thru the newbie q and a and still didn't find what I was looking for. Can someone tell me if I should expect any issues with the following set up.

2.5 inch bb from teraflex, with the shock adapter option instead of shocks (link below):

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...d=TF-001355210

From the start I am going to use the stock wheels and tires, until it's time for new tires, then I will go with 33" tires on my stock wheels (can someone advise what offset spacer size I should go with if any).

Any feedback regarding reviews for this set up on a 4 door rubicon would be ideal.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on how wide the 33" tires are going to be. One of the limiting factors is the width of your stock rim. Look at the tire manufactures specs to see if your rim will be wide enough for the new tires. If you have a rubi then your wheels should be 7.5" wide.

I'm going to put 1.5" spidertrax spacers and a tera 2.5 BB next week on my rubi. According to the instructions you will need spacers because the rear tires may contact the sway bar link at full droop.

If i'm calculating correctly you should have 4.75" backspacing when using a 1.5" spacer. And from what i have been reading, that is the max you should go when using a 12.5" wide tire. And when using stock rims you most likely will not be that wide.

I can let you know how is goes next week.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk77
I have read thru the newbie q and a and still didn't find what I was looking for. Can someone tell me if I should expect any issues with the following set up.

2.5 inch bb from teraflex, with the shock adapter option instead of shocks (link below):

From the start I am going to use the stock wheels and tires, until it's time for new tires, then I will go with 33" tires on my stock wheels (can someone advise what offset spacer size I should go with if any).

Any feedback regarding reviews for this set up on a 4 door rubicon would be ideal.

Thanks

Ok, if you do a search for the TF BB2.5, it will take you hours to read it all!. I'll tell you what I have done and learned.

I have an 08 rubi unlimeted.
I started with the TF2.5BB. The install was pretty easy. I to used the shock extentions, but the shocks on the rubi are very good to begin with. I put on the 1.5 wheel spacers in the rear. you will need those unless you get different offset rims. Trust me, you will rub without them at full flex. The handeling was great
Then I put on a heavy front bumper and winch. I discovered I had less than 3/4 inch clearence from my front bumpstop to where it stops. I figured I needed more travel. I called TF and talked with Joe. He sold me on a set of 2.5 coil springs all the way around. The refit was easy, remove BB pucks and put in springs presto, I was done. The ride stiffer by a little but better. Much more clearence on my bumpstops. Very glad i did this. Out here in AZ I see no reason to put on wide tires, so I'm staying stock tires. So far I havn't had any problems. Sometimes I need to get higher, but for now I'm happy.

So, IMHO I would skip the 2.5BB and go the 2.5coil lift kit.

Now I used to spend summers in Wi. I couldn't find anything woth a Rubicon up there. I must have not looked in the right places. I know I didn't find any clubs that could direct me in the Appleton area... Mighty flat around there....

Any other questions?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP,

You are going to want spidertrax spacers on your stock wheels.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

I just put the bb on and notice the swaybar bolts in the rear would hit the tire and rim so I bought spidertax 1.5" spacers and I am happy I did. It makes the appearence much nicer. I talked to Joe at teraflex and he also told me that you need to do this. If you are going to put an aftermarket bumper on soon you might as well put the 3/4" spacers on as well in the front as well. Just my 2 cents though. Mike
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk77

Thanks
You can get a much cheaper 1 3/4 or 2 inch budget boost that will clear 33s no problem
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

has anyone experienced the "death wobble" with this budget boost? i have heard of other bb, such as the rough country, that cause the "death wobble", which i want to avoid coming across. any feedback on that?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

I'm happy to help out a fellow newbie:

I've had the budget boost and and spacers on for a few months now with 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers. I use my jeep as my daily commuter and hit speeds up to 80 mph and no death wobble. Offroad in mud and rocks it's been great as well. No rubbing unless I turn the steering wheel real hard. Otherwise, I've been really happy with it!

Only 2 things I want to confirm in addition:

- you will definitely need to get your spedo adjusted. At 65 mph (according to my gps) my spedo only reads 60. It's variable, at lower speeds the difference is less, at higher it's more

- you'll need to buy a spacer for your spare tire. I bought the Teraflex spare tire extension bracket for about 30 bucks online, it works great. It does cover the upper brake light. I live in AZ, so I don't think that is a problem for me. It also doesn't hit the rubber tire supports, so it rattles a bit. I'm going to figure out a way to secure it so that problem goes away.

Have fun!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joiky
I'm happy to help out a fellow newbie:

I've had the budget boost and and spacers on for a few months now with 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers. I use my jeep as my daily commuter and hit speeds up to 80 mph and no death wobble. Offroad in mud and rocks it's been great as well. No rubbing unless I turn the steering wheel real hard. Otherwise, I've been really happy with it!

Only 2 things I want to confirm in addition:

- you will definitely need to get your spedo adjusted. At 65 mph (according to my gps) my spedo only reads 60. It's variable, at lower speeds the difference is less, at higher it's more

- you'll need to buy a spacer for your spare tire. I bought the Teraflex spare tire extension bracket for about 30 bucks online, it works great. It does cover the upper brake light. I live in AZ, so I don't think that is a problem for me. It also doesn't hit the rubber tire supports, so it rattles a bit. I'm going to figure out a way to secure it so that problem goes away.

Have fun!
Thanks for the information. pm sent with a couple other questions and comments
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by randyd
Now I used to spend summers in Wi. I couldn't find anything woth a Rubicon up there. I must have not looked in the right places. I know I didn't find any clubs that could direct me in the Appleton area... Mighty flat around there....
We head north....obviously you didn't find the right clubs or the right people

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5 inch budget boost questions