Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5" coil vs OME 2"

Old 10-28-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KY.
wait, so if you go OME with the HD coils on a 2 dr you will need a new driveshaft? all this is so freaking confusing.
I didn't need a new driveshaft with the Tera but I did have to modify the skid plate a bit.

Last edited by JayhawkJeep; 10-28-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Coby Dick
Would it work to trim the skid plate a bit where it interferes with the d/s?
The driveshaft issue can happen with any lift. It is due to lift height, and is not specifically associated with certain mfg's.

What may affect the need for new driveshafts is the total amount of lift height, the amount of articulation (disconnecting?), whether the axle is centered (adj trackbar or bracket), manual vs auto, etc...

Scroll down to Post #6 by MKJeep
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driveshaft-vs-skid-plate-102041/

With all the variables, nobody can tell you that you will need new shafts. Then again, even with a bone stock jeep, nobody can tell you that you won't need them...

(Plenty of people on 2" BB's losing a front driveshaft, so...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-28-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The driveshaft issue can happen with any lift. It is due to lift height, and is not specifically associated with certain mfg's.

What may affect the need for new driveshafts is the total amount of lift height, the amount of articulation (disconnecting?), whether the axle is centered (adj trackbar or bracket), manual vs auto, etc...

Scroll down to Post #6 by MKJeep
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102041

With all the variables, nobody can tell you that you will need new shafts. Then again, even with a bone stock jeep, nobody can tell you that you won't need them...

(Plenty of people on 2" BB's losing a front driveshaft, so...)
Thanks for that link... give me some idea where to start trimming
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

okay david at northridge has talked me into the 2.5" TF coil over the OME 2". I was ready to pull the trigger till I saw all this business about drive shafts. are people really having problems? Im looking to buy and lift. thats it. I dont want problems with drive shafts or anything of that sort at all. should I just wuss out and get a little spacer lift? my jeep does some serious wheeling on the stock suspension with zero problems. Im going to college next year and the jeep is my mode of transportation so i CANNOT have these types of problems. so what should i do?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KY.
okay david at northridge has talked me into the 2.5" TF coil over the OME 2". I was ready to pull the trigger till I saw all this business about drive shafts. are people really having problems? Im looking to buy and lift. thats it. I dont want problems with drive shafts or anything of that sort at all. should I just wuss out and get a little spacer lift? my jeep does some serious wheeling on the stock suspension with zero problems. Im going to college next year and the jeep is my mode of transportation so i CANNOT have these types of problems. so what should i do?
You're not a wuss for doing a BB -- puck spacer -- lift. I have a 2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost and I wheel some gnarly AZ, rocky, mountainous trails. My Jeep on 33's and a BB has done what Jeeps with 37's and 4" lifts do. Sure there will be some scraping on the bottom skids, but that's what there for and you should know that if you wheel! Do a BB lift. If you want a picture of what a 2dr looks like on 33's with the RE 2" BB then let me know and I will post a couple before a log off.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Here are some poser shots of a 2" BB with 33's. Low cost and very effective on the trails. I do some intense sh!t and I'm not just saying that. I do! So here's a pic to show what the lift will look kind of like, height wise and to show that my Jeep is not banged up...

Oh, I know they are poser shots. FYI a 2.5" lift, coil or spacer, will honestly look very very very much the same as this. So this should give you an idea.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

to help out a little more. Here is the 33" thread. Enjoy. All of these JKers have either a 2" BB, a 2.5"BB, OME 2", or Teraflex 2.5" coil.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=show+33%27s
Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KY.
I have a 4 door and put the OME LT coils with TF shocks, TF control arms and TF front trackbar, TF bumpstops and rear relocation bracket with 35" GY Kevlars and it works great. The ride is better than stock, no rubbing or issues offroad. In the end the mix and match setup cost me less than buying the TF 2.5 or OME 2 kit.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
You guys ever thought of just doing a budget boost? My 2dr has the Rubicon Express 2" BB with Teraflex Quick Disconnects and 33's. I wheel all the time in AZ -- every Sedona trail, Four Peaks, Crown King, every Tucson trail (Charlou Gap, which is very difficult). I get great flex out of the kit and I have front and rear steel bumpers. .
Hey RN M OVER...I got the RE 2" BB with monoshocks. I am looking at getting LOD midwidth with warn winch and LOD rear with tire carrier and was curious if you got much sag out of this kit with your steel bumpers? I am considering the OME 2" HD coil springs for my JKU if it does sag to get a few more inches. I am running a 33x12.5r17 Cooper STT and love the flex I get out of this kit. I am worried with the added weight I will begin to rub on my fenders more at full flex. Do you have any photos with your bumpers and RE kit?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Here are some poser shots of a 2" BB with 33's. Low cost and very effective on the trails. I do some intense sh!t and I'm not just saying that. I do! So here's a pic to show what the lift will look kind of like, height wise and to show that my Jeep is not banged up...

Oh, I know they are poser shots. FYI a 2.5" lift, coil or spacer, will honestly look very very very much the same as this. So this should give you an idea.

Hey where in Scottsdale are you located? Im attempting to buy myself a 2 door JK and you have one of the lift/wheel setups I am thinking about. Id love to check your Jeep out if you don't mind.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5" coil vs OME 2"