Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5" coil lift question

Old 01-02-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by too_tall_29904
Nice pics! Where were they taken? So you had to get a swing away carrier because of to much weight on the tail gate? Did you have any rubbing on the pinch seams? I have heard some people had problems with that.
Various locations here near Denver, Breckenridge and Copper Mountain Colorado... I did get the carrier because I broke some welds on my tailgate with the added weight. Two things you can do to help is make sure your spare is not moving at all and also make sure your tire pressure is near 28. Mine was too high and rattled hard when I hit bumps which I think helped speed up the process. Also, the combination of Teraflex reloca bracket and daystar bumpstops did not work for me, so try another setup if needed. either way, I'd still recommend a carrier sooner rather than later. do a search on here and you'll find the thread with my comments on the tailgate.

I didn't trim the pinch seams yet. they are ok, but close. your tires look like they measure a 1/2 inch larger than mine so you should be ok. I'm going to trim mine when it warms up, just as a precaution.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dcharge74
That set-up should work. You may have to pull off the plastic air dam in the front, but that's no big deal. Another issue you "might" run into is having the tires mounted. Some installers won't install wheel spacers and some will. Others might also have issue that your wheels aren't the "approved" width. I'd just call around a few places and ask. You may be better off at a small independent installer than a big chain store. Anyway, I do have the extensions. The fronts are still attached to the shocks, so I'm gonna have to spray them and hope they come apart. It looks like all the hardware is there also. If something is missing, you should have no problem finding a replacement at Home Depot or Lowes. I'd prefer Paypal to pay for the shipping. I think $10 should cover it.
Good call on the mounting of the tires. Discount wouldn't do it in Denver, so I went to Big O where the staff is full of Jeepers. They did it no problem and even checked my torque on the spacers and also centered my steer wheel. Great group of guys there..
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

I do have a great tire shop here that will do pretty much anything with no questions asked. I was a little worried about the tires being to wide for the wheels but, there are a couple people on the site that are running similar setups and told me to run 30psi front and 28psi rear and I would be fine. Does the air dam have a real function on the Jeep? I have also programmed with the Superchip and I am hoping it gives me enough umf to turn the tires ok. I was lucky enough to have 410's factory so I have been told it should not be a total dog.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I do have a great tire shop here that will do pretty much anything with no questions asked. I was a little worried about the tires being to wide for the wheels but, there are a couple people on the site that are running similar setups and told me to run 30psi front and 28psi rear and I would be fine. Does the air dam have a real function on the Jeep? I have also programmed with the Superchip and I am hoping it gives me enough umf to turn the tires ok. I was lucky enough to have 410's factory so I have been told it should not be a total dog.
I haven't read anywhere that the airdam does anything besides help (minimally) with aerodynamics and very minor protection. I also have4:10s and although not great, its not that big of a deal. I'll regear one day, probably not soon though.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It serves as a high tech off road aid. It makes an audible warning crunch when rocks or obstacles get to close to the sway bar.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like a plus for you, either cheap extensions are coming your way. If they don't I would just drop a little more and get shocks. I'm not big on extending shocks when you can get new ones that are longer for very little cost.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great setup and is similar to mine.. Make sure the tire shop:

1) pulls off the retainer clips on the hub before install.
2) uses the lock tight provided with the spacers or RED lock tite.

As for the airdam you can probably get buy with trimming the corners. May need a washer in the steering stops if your rubbing more than that.

Good luck, glad to see a member setup and send the needed parts. That is what is so cool about this site.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

No Doubt! This is this the best site for information and really good opinions! I will be installing the spacers myself when I put the lift on then I will drive it over to the tire shop for them to mount and balance the new shoes. I will try to trim the airdam first then see how it looks.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5" coil lift question