Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5 coil kit

Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5 coil kit

So I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and lift my JK. I was given a great quote from northridge4x4 for a Teraflex 2.5" coil kit, which will allow me to run 35s.... so my question is will I be happy enough with this lift or will I want more? I'm just wondering if I should go up to 3"-4" or not. My JK is my DD.
I even found a RC 4" lift on eBay for about $100 less, but ive heard the Teraflex kits offer a much smoother ride. Thoughts anyone?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
So I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and lift my JK. I was given a great quote from northridge4x4 for a Teraflex 2.5" coil kit, which will allow me to run 35s.... so my question is will I be happy enough with this lift or will I want more? I'm just wondering if I should go up to 3"-4" or not. My JK is my DD.
I even found a RC 4" lift on eBay for about $100 less, but ive heard the Teraflex kits offer a much smoother ride. Thoughts anyone?

What do you want to do with it? Crazy trails or just clear 35's? Regardless if you go with more lift the price goes up drastically with drive shafts ect...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi

I like the look of a lifted Jeep and 35s and do some offroading(snow, mud, dirt), just not hardcore rockcrawling. Since it's my DD, I don't want to sacrifice too much road handling yaknowwhatimsayin?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

I will be installing the 2.5 Teraflex kit this weekend on my 2011 Rubi Unlimited. I will post my results next week and hopefully they may help you with your decision. I do not do any rockcrawling, and only go offroad in the local desert country and some in the mountains, but like the looks of the lifted JK and want larger tires.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
I like the look of a lifted Jeep and 35s and do some offroading(snow, mud, dirt), just not hardcore rockcrawling. Since it's my DD, I don't want to sacrifice too much road handling yaknowwhatimsayin?
I think 2.5" is a good basic lift to start with. You can run 35s with no other mods, and if you change to flat fender flares you can run 37s. With 35s you may "get by" with stock gearing, with 37s it is time to regear the axles, which can lead to other problems. (see post "new gears and new vibes")
Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks everyone for the input!
I don't really want to go higher than 35s, and was just debating the lift size I should get. 2.5 will get me where I want to be & for the cost, but just curious if others think I shouldn't bother and just go a little higher to 3" or 4". My brother in law and I are gonna install the kit ourselves at his house (he has a car lift built into the ground next to his garage... lucky s.o.b.).
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You realize that coils generally give more lift than advertised, right?

You didn't fill in your info. 2door or 4door? Manual or Auto? And which specific coils? Look around some and get an idea of the 'actual' lift height you can expect from those TF coils.

Here is a reply from TF in another thread...
Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I'm afraid that the 4" coils on a 2dr will almost be a 6". Just a set of 3" coils for a 4dr will get you almost 5" of lift. Keep in mind that TeraFlex now has seperate 2dr and 4dr coils.
You should also check into any driveshaft problems people are encountering at various lift heights, and look into Caster, since there is no adjustment with the 2.5 kit.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Look at the below...I bought the 2.5" Budget Boost, Spidertrax Spacers and put on 33x12.50x15's and in my opinion it looks good. I don't want anything more.

Although mine is a daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zimm's 2008 JK2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	103186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zimm's 2008 JK..jpg
Views:	202
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	103187  
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leozimm
Look at the below...I bought the 2.5" Budget Boost, Spidertrax Spacers and put on 33x12.50x15's and in my opinion it looks good. I don't want anything more.

Although mine is a daily driver.

sorry to hijack... but what wheels are those? love the retro looking A-Team van style...

Mark
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You realize that coils generally give more lift than advertised, right?

You didn't fill in your info. 2door or 4door? Manual or Auto? And which specific coils? Look around some and get an idea of the 'actual' lift height you can expect from those TF coils.

Here is a reply from TF in another thread...

You should also check into any driveshaft problems people are encountering at various lift heights, and look into Caster, since there is no adjustment with the 2.5 kit.
2008 4 door, auto, sahara.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5 coil kit