Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5"- BB vs. Coil

Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TeraFlex 2.5"- BB vs. Coil

Well guys, I'm at that stage where so many of you have been already, and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my first lift for the JK. I've read and read, and used the "search" function to my maximum potential, and there are some incredible threads with priceless information on this topic on this forum. However, between the 100 or so threads I've perused so diligently, I've yet to come across one that answers all the questions of Budget Boost vs. Coil Lift. Of course, there are many manufacturers of these type lifts, but more specifically I'm referring to the TeraFlex models in 2.5" versions.

I've got a new Rubicon Unlimited with the tow package, so I believe I have HD springs (right??). I'm gonna run the stock tires for now with 1.5" spacers, and I'm mostly interested in getting the JK up off the ground a bit more and leveling her out. I hate that factory rake!! As for now I won't be running a bumper or winch, but I do plan to in the future, $$$ provided (cross your fingers for '09!!) SO, here's where I think I'm going:

TeraFlex BB or Coil: 2.5", Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, and TeraFlex 1/2" Front Coil spacers. Pretty dang common setup.

Now instead of this being a total "help me" thread for a nube like me, I'd like to get some of you guys with experience to compare the pros and cons of the BB and the Coil lift options from TeraFlex. It seems that they are excellent products, and lots of people tend to run one or the other as their first lift, so why not debunk some of the myths and clear the air?

From what I can tell, the main advantage of the coil lift is added articulation. But, if you run the shock adapters, with stock Rubi shocks as I would, wouldn't that limit you to stock articulation anyway? In other words, wouldn't you be in the same boat as running the BB with shock adapters as far as articulation goes? Also, if you've got the Unlimited with tow package, don't you already have HD springs, and therefore the BB would be just as beneficial? We're talking about maybe $150 difference in the two kits, so what's the better deal? They seem to come with the same equipment, although substituting the spacers in the BB for springs in the coil lift. Which is the easier install? Which are people more likely to keep on longer? etc. etc.

Alright, I hope I haven't somehow missed a thread with all these answers, cuz I'd be pretty embarrassed, but I don't think I have. If there's something I leaving out here, please fill me in!

Thanks guys! Unleash the brains!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

If you have a rubi and want the best that you can get from the 2.5 kit, get the coil with shock adapters. Spacers give you lift, but not ride quality, coils will give you that, plus it's not recommended to stack spacers like you mentioned doing with 2.5+ .5. The rubi shocks are comparable to the teraflex shocks, so just get extensions to make the length match.

Also, it sit's pretty level with 2.5 coils, I doubt you will need the extra spacer.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
If you have a rubi and want the best that you can get from the 2.5 kit, get the coil with shock adapters. Spacers give you lift, but not ride quality, coils will give you that, plus it's not recommended to stack spacers like you mentioned doing with 2.5+ .5. The rubi shocks are comparable to the teraflex shocks, so just get extensions to make the length match.

Also, it sit's pretty level with 2.5 coils, I doubt you will need the extra spacer.
Good advice, saved me some typing.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

ok I can add questiosn to this then... I am waiting for your 2.5'' coils with shocks kit...

Should I just get the extensions, and save $$ on shocks because the TF shocks are not really better ??

I am trying to save some $$ too but I also want a solid rig.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get the spacers, you'll always wonder what the coils wouldda done. Get the coils.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by joey2times
ok I can add questiosn to this then... I am waiting for your 2.5'' coils with shocks kit...

Should I just get the extensions, and save $$ on shocks because the TF shocks are not really better ??

I am trying to save some $$ too but I also want a solid rig.
If you have a Rubi, I'd suggest the kit with extentsions #1352000.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Mine sits really good with the TF 2.5in Coils.. But I also have the TF shocks also..

good now I know I don't need a puck up front until I put a new bumper and winch on... looks good
Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
If you have a Rubi, I'd suggest the kit with extentsions #1352000.
Joe... Does this hold true with a Sahara Unlimited with the factory tow package too?

Just curious because it comes up often. (according to Jeep engineers the oem tow pkg has beefier spring rates & shocks)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
Joe... Does this hold true with a Sahara Unlimited with the factory tow package too?

Just curious because it comes up often. (according to Jeep engineers the oem tow pkg has beefier spring rates & shocks)
If they are red, get shock extensions, if they are black, get replacement shocks.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
If they are red, get shock extensions, if they are black, get replacement shocks.
Correct!

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5"- BB vs. Coil