Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex 2.5" BB require brake removal?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TeraFlex 2.5" BB require brake removal?

Quick question, when installing the TeraFlex 2.5" budget boost with shock adaptors, did anyone need to remove their brakes? I know there are lowering brackets for the rear lines, but no mention of any need to remove the front brakes.

I ask, because 3 weeks ago I had a shop install my lift kit and new wheels/tires. This morning I brought my Jeep into the dealership for an engine wash and a paint chip fix, and they were lucky enough to notice my front brake calipers were actually falling off ... they had scored the inside of my wheels.

Since the lift kit/tire install is the only work I've had done in that area in the 3 months I've had my Jeep, I'm wondering, why the hell would the shop remove my brakes? (And then re-install them, either not tightening them, or over torquing them with air tools).

The only thing I can think of is they had the axle lowered too far and removed the calipers to save the brake lines??
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

You dont have to remove them, but the front passenger side is pretty tight and hard to get the coil back in. That might be why they did.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

no, the brakes are not to be removed during installation
Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
You dont have to remove them, but the front passenger side is pretty tight and hard to get the coil back in. That might be why they did.
That passenger side coil made me for at least 30-45 minutes. He's right, the front coils can be tough with the calipers attached, the brake line is the only thing being stretched out with the axle all the way down. The driver side I was able to do with some slack in the line, on the passenger side it was very close to being fully taught when I finally got the coil in.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4 inch coils slid right into place with no issues. You remove the shocks and sway bar links from BOTH sides of the alxe while the Jeep is on Jack stands. THe axle will drop A LOT! Not hard at all and no need to remove brake lines or brakes.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
My 4 inch coils slid right into place with no issues. You remove the shocks and sway bar links from BOTH sides of the alxe while the Jeep is on Jack stands. THe axle will drop A LOT! Not hard at all and no need to remove brake lines or brakes.
Are you still using the teraflex bumps in front? they are what made it such a pain. My 3" coils were very easy to get in compared to the stock coils under the Tera spacers and bumpstop. When I did the new coils, I pressed the extended bumps in after the coil was in place.

Edit: ok from the looks of your buildup, you didnt use the tera front bumps, thats why your coils slid in so easily. Even with both shocks and sway bar links removed, you have to stretch the passenger side brake line tight to get the stock coil in under the spacer and bumpstop. By the way, your jeep really turned out nice

Last edited by bly109; 08-06-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
Are you still using the teraflex bumps in front? they are what made it such a pain. My 3" coils were very easy to get in compared to the stock coils under the Tera spacers and bumpstop. When I did the new coils, I pressed the extended bumps in after the coil was in place.

Edit: ok from the looks of your buildup, you didnt use the tera front bumps, thats why your coils slid in so easily. Even with both shocks and sway bar links removed, you have to stretch the passenger side brake line tight to get the stock coil in under the spacer and bumpstop. By the way, your jeep really turned out nice
Thanks. Yeah the bump stops were not used.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

THere is an excelent step by step guide on this site about installing the TF2.5BB. Complete with pictures.
No the calipers don't have to be removed. What helps greatly is removing the 10mm screw that holds the line and antilock wire at about the mid point. With this loose the lines have a bit more they can go before they get tight.

Hope it helps.....
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by randyd
THere is an excelent step by step guide on this site about installing the TF2.5BB. Complete with pictures.
No the calipers don't have to be removed. What helps greatly is removing the 10mm screw that holds the line and antilock wire at about the mid point. With this loose the lines have a bit more they can go before they get tight.

Hope it helps.....
Yeah I read the guide WOL did, even looked at the PDF install instructions on Quadratec's site (which look nothing like the ones I got in the box btw, must have been an older kit), but I didn't do the install.

Sigh, well at least it was caught in time before they completely fell off or did any more damage. The scoring inside the wheels isn't that bad, just a tad ugly, but soon to be covered in mud once again.

Downside is the dealership doesn't have replacement bolts so I'm without my baby for 2 days until the parts come in :(

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5" BB require brake removal?