Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5" BB - The death wobble has come...

Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback
Can you PM the rest of us the info too?
Thanks
I pretty much ask him if he had a stock track bar or a TeraFlex one. This sounds like his track bar is either loose or has bad bushings in the track bar. But I need to know if it's one of ours.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!

BTW. I installed mine over xmas and I love it so far...

When is the new rear bracket fix going to be ready?
My kit was delivered on 12/24 without rear bracket fix from northridge.

This was written back in 9/19 by your rep:

"As mentioned, the axle shift created when adding a TeraFlex Budget Boost kit is not much and doesn’t create a drivability, or safety issue. After reading on the JK-Forum about all the question and concern regarding axle shift with Budget Boost lifts we have decided to make a bracket fix for the rear track bar and include it in the TeraFlex Budget boost kit. This may be 2-3 months out. We will have a slight price increase when the change takes place and as soon as the bracket is available we will offer an upgrade direct order option for those who already have our Budget Boost kit. It should be about $15-20.00 shipped. When it’s ready a post will be made on the forum.
Your questions and comments really help us refine our kits to meet your expectations. Thank You!"

Last edited by Silverback; 12-27-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:43 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the things we love about coil spring suspension - the softer ride, greater flex, more suspension travel, all contribute to the dynamic event known as the death wobble. Think about it - the old school leaf springs attached directly to the frame do all the work of modern coils, upper and lower control arms, plus track bars. And they ride like a logging truck. I could take all the balance weights off my CJ's tires and run down the interstate. It wouldn't be very comfortable but I wouldn't be on the verge of losing control.

Now you take that same tire/wheel combination that can weigh anywhere from 40 to 60 pounds, get it just a little out of balance out there at the end of that soft coil and see what happens. The same softer spring that we enjoyed so much when everything was in balance now doesn't have the hold-down pressure to keep that 60 pounds of rotating energy in check. Once you hit the appropriate speed that allows the out-of-balance situation to reach the proper harmonic it sets up the exaggerated cycle that results in the wheel actually "hopping" off the pavement. All that energy transfers into the rest of the front end and within seconds both wheels are dancing. Come off the gas or power through it to the point where the out-of-balance condition is not sitting in that critical harmonic and gradually the spring is able to re-establish control over the mass of the tire/wheel again.

If you've ever experienced or seen it happen to a buddy in front of you it is a terrifying event. Unfortunately all coil spring suspensions running heavy tire/wheel combinations (every modern Jeep out there) are prone to do this if:

(1) the tires are out of balance (lost a weight, wheels caked with mud, etc) or
(2) the joints in the control arms or track bars are loose or worn, or
(3) something took a hit and the damage changed the geometry of the suspension.

In this case the BB is not likely the problem, as some of the others have suggested it's probably just a bad balance attempt by the dealer.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the bb about a month ago and have been out on the highways and no wobble here. Stock 18's on my Sahara Unlimited.
NEW BRACKET!!!!! I'll be looking for it but.....
Old 12-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

The new rear bracket will be release in about 30+ days. When I can I will post pictures of the bracket here. Plus I will post here when they are available to sell individually.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
The new rear bracket will be release in about 30+ days. When I can I will post pictures of the bracket here. Plus I will post here when they are available to sell individually.
Thanks for the info and great to see you on the forums.
I will be installing my BB in a few weeks (no time right now).
Old 12-27-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Day 2

Ok let me clear some things up. The jeep has a stock track bar and I'm working on it still. I firsttried to reproduce the issue this afternoon on the same series of bumps. no success. scary at 70 mph to try this. white knuckled it. I'm in my garage responding via a pda phone. I WILL GET PICKS UP HOPEFULLY BY THE MORNING.... STAY TUNED AS I THINK IT'S A WHEEL BALANCE ISSUE.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I don't think you guys mean death wobble...that's a specific problem.

It sounds like most of the above are more like normal vibrations, like from tire imbalances, mis-alignments, etc.

Death wobble is like the rig is uncontrollable, darting left/right, etc.

Maybe some clarification on descriptive terms would help?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

Will this bracket mount to the axle or the frame?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by duffman
Will this bracket mount to the axle or the frame?
Frame side.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 2.5" BB - The death wobble has come...