Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tera30 Heavy Duty Axle Housing

Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drgreybow
The biggest reason being that I don't weld. I've had some pretty crazy quotes from local shops for welding sleeves and gussets. Like $800+ crazy. For that kind of money, why not pony up another grand and get a whole new housing?
No friends in the local area that can weld?If you were'nt so far away,i'd do your gussets for
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

For that price spend an extra buck and get a pro rock 44!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankenJeeper
For that price spend an extra buck and get a pro rock 44!
It'd be way more expensive to do that, as he'd need a new R&P, carrier/locker, and shafts.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
No friends in the local area that can weld?If you were'nt so far away,i'd do your gussets for
I have a friend down the street that has a welder. He's pretty new to it, and I'd like to learn, so we may take a day or two and give this a shot. I still say the Tera30 is an interesting and more affordable alternative for someone with a Dana 30 and wants to run 35's or possibly 37's.

I'd love to see Teraflex do some stress testing on this housing and see just how much it can take. I wonder if they'd stand behind the idea that you can confidently run 37's with a Tera30.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd love to see Teraflex do some stress testing on this housing and see just how much it can take.
From my understanding it's built identical to their 44 housing so it has the same C's, tubes and the diff is casted in the same material so the weak parts are the internals.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onsafari
From my understanding it's built identical to their 44 housing so it has the same C's, tubes and the diff is casted in the same material so the weak parts are the internals.
Correct, plus those same tubes/brackets are used on our Tera60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ysox5ESxmE
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Correct, plus those same tubes/brackets are used on our Tera60's.
So what's the biggest tires you guys are running on this thing? Can it handle a 37 with factory gears/shafts? Or is the expectation that people would upgrade some of the internals like shafts in order to run 35's or 37's? I'd just love to hear some examples of practical applications of this thing. I realize it's new so that may not be possible. Need a guinea pig?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's the biggest tires you guys are running on this thing? Can it handle a 37 with factory gears/shafts? Or is the expectation that people would upgrade some of the internals like shafts in order to run 35's or 37's? I'd just love to hear some examples of practical applications of this thing. I realize it's new so that may not be possible. Need a guinea pig?
I would upgrade the internals for tires that big. The housing can take the tires, it's the weak stock guts that won't.

Plan B?
Tera44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OiNsOxTG1g
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I would upgrade the internals for tires that big. The housing can take the tires, it's the weak stock guts that won't.

Plan B?
Tera44
I've got a 2008 X Unlimited with a bent front axle. Can I put in a Tera44 without changing the rear axle at this time?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy

I've got a 2008 X Unlimited with a bent front axle. Can I put in a Tera44 without changing the rear axle at this time?
Yes. As long as both axles have then same gear ratio.

Quick Reply: Tera30 Heavy Duty Axle Housing