Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tera Flex leveling kit shock suggestion

Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help for 09 two door

Ok guys my first post,I have been doing a lot of reading in Afghanistan.I just purchased the Tera Flex leveling kit for my 09 two door wrangler it adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear effectively leveling the factory rake stance, the kit comes with front sway bar links. What would be a good shock to run with this setup? I plan on running 285's on a 16x 8 wheel.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

I know that this has been covered time and time again on Rubicon suspension,but I am currently in southern Afghanistan where the internet is not the best and using the search function is a waste of time in terms of how long it takes to download. So with that done I need some advice on the suspension.

09 two door all stock at this time,while on leave I picked up the Terra Flex leveling kit, and the Rugged ridge front bumper with winch mount and the new stubby end caps.(all uninstalled at this time),my plans are to run the G/Y Duratrac 285/75/16 on a 16x 8 wheel. I have the chance to pick up shocks,springs and control arms off a 2012 Rubicon four door that had 30 miles on it when the suspension was taken off.

Will the 2012 four door suspension work on my 09 two door, if so can I expect any lift and how much,or will it be best to add the leveling kit with the Rubicon suspension ? I plan on adding a Warn 9k to the front and the rear Rugged ridge bumper and tire carrier in the future, and this will be a daily driver. I want to have a nice level stance all the way around.

The reading that I have done here indicates that the ride will be much better on the highway with the Rubicon suspension,what are everyone's thought on that ?

Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help and answers.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-06-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: repost
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ga.Dawg
Ok guys my first post,I have been doing a lot of reading in Afghanistan.I just purchased the Tera Flex leveling kit for my 09 two door wrangler it adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear effectively leveling the factory rake stance, the kit comes with front sway bar links. What would be a good shock to run with this setup? I plan on running 285's on a 16x 8 wheel.
You don't have to buy new shocks, unless you just need some. The stockers work fine. You will want to ensure that all four corners brake lines have enough slack in them with the added lift if you get off road.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^ second this. I run the teraflex leveling kit with 33s - no need for new shocks because of the kit.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alien10
Aren't the sway bar links supplied with the kit for the rear after the stock rear links get swapped to the front?
no, it's for front
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alien10
Aren't the sway bar links supplied with the kit for the rear after the stock rear links get swapped to the front?
again no, but wanted to add you dont use them at all if you only do the 1 inch lift in the front by installing only one of the two provided spacers for the front.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ga.Dawg
Welcome to the Forum

Like some of the replies. You really do not need to change the shocks w/ the leveling kit.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian Rubi8
It should be ok with stock shocks. Extensions or new shocks will give you a little more articulation when flexed all the way out on rocks. Used rubi shocks will be a nice cheap upgrade. I have the Teraflex 9550 and am happy with them, they are affordable. You want something higher end without breaking the bank then Fox shocks have a nice setup (that I plan to upgrade to).
Brian Rubi8, Can Fox shocks work on a leveling kit? I had thought the min lift they could fit on was the 2.5" lift (their Performance Series).
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Old Man Emu Nitrocharger-I had this set up and the ride is phenomenal
Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

For clarification on the sway bar disconnects. There are 3 Teraflex kits that get confused alot.

1. The leveling kit with spacers (2" in front and 1" in back).
2. Performance leveling kit - 4 new coils giving 2" in front and 1" in back. This kit includes the loner links for the front.
3. 2.5" boost - I believe this kit includes new links for rear and then you put rear in the front.

Just trying to help a little. I may be off some but this is how I recall it from reading on here. I have #2 and know the links go up front for that kit. Not as positive on #1 or #3.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Shock size

I know this thread is long dead but I've been looking for this answer too. I put the terra flex leveling kit on my 08 JK two door and I want new shocks. My question is should I go with the stock size or should I use a lifted 2.5 inch size? It rides fine on the stock length but are there any gains or losses from using a larger shock?

Quick Reply: Tera Flex leveling kit shock suggestion