Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A Teenager Needs Help With His Build!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You spell out stuff nicely, the problem is we don't know what you're REAL budget is!!!
Heavy mud (clay) as you probably already know is real hard on stuff,,, i.e. axles, drive shafts, basically the whole drive train is under a huge amount of stress when bogging thru heavy wet clay!!

From what you are saying, you feel that 37" tires will get you through more mud... Yes and no!!!!(they can get you deeper into trouble faster too)
To run 37"s on a 2 door, you are gonna need at least a 3" lift kit and a 1" body lift and trim you're fenders to make them flatties...
Plus the extra weight and torque from the big tires will add to the already stressed out drive line!!!
If what you say is almost all you do is run the heavy mud, you are gonna HAVE TO go heavy duty on the front axle!!!
I would suggest selling you're D30 for a D44 (minimum), hardened axles front and rear, 5:13 gears, Lockers, front axle tubes, c-gussets, and good drive shafts...
And with the lift you will want at least front lower control arms...
You will have a pretty hefty bill to do all that!!! along with the 37" tires and a set of wheels! (again, we do not know what you're true budget is)

I don't run the heavy mud (clay), so if I'm off base a bit, please someone let me know...

So, all that being said, I guess if it were me, and on a TIGHT budget, I would try to find a take off front D44 from a Rubicon, keep the 4:10 gears it comes with, get 4:10 gears for the rear, go with 35" tires (you will still have good ground clearence), a B.B. 2.5" lift, chop my fenders, and wheel the hell out of it until you break something!!!!!!

At 17 yrs. old, I'm guessing money is very limited, so start out there,,,,, but if you have a well to do family, pull on the purse strings and belly up to the computer and order about 6-8 grand worth of built D60's and a 4" long arm lift, air lockers, hard axles,steel flat fenders, and go with 40" tires!!!!

Good luck, don't hesitate to keep asking questions... and if you want to put a SERIOUS list together, let us know what you're budget is so we can point out what you can and can't do with the $$$ you have......But I have a feeling that you're "want" list is bigger than you're wallet will allow........
Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
Ok guys, i'm almost 18, had my jeep for just over a year now. i've learned so much about my jk on this forum, and through just hours and hours of obsessing on the internet. i must say, i love my jeep now here's what's up. i've done a few mods on the jk, but nothing big. but i want to start saving to turn her into the machine she could be. you all know what i mean being 17, i have a low budget, and low know-how. i'm still a newbie by far. what i'm wanting is for you amazing guys and gals on the forum to help me decide what i need and how much i need for it. i dont really understand gears, or beefing up axels, or any of that.

my setup-
07' 2 door X

what i want-
37's.
4.88's (opinions? i want it capable but she's still my DD, and this was right smack in the middle)
bushwacker flat flares

everything else is up in the air.

you folks on the forum have been so helpful with me and helped answer any questions, and i would love your opinions, advice, comments, anything you have to offer tell me about your experiences, send me links to things i need, help me understand what is going on here haha. i hate people that just throw money into something and know nothing about it, so i want to learn what i need, and what it all means.

and who knows, maybe this can be the official "TEACH THE NEWBIES" thread. haha!

THANKS GUYS/GALS!!
-Destin
Im also in the position as you.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

wow i was gonna keep it simplistic and say 2.5 RC BB...and watch craigslist for 35s...thats what I did for 2 years now im bumping up to a 4" kit and new set of 35s...I think my full set up cost me $700 with used tires...and lift kit
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hell ya i'm 18 and also graduating soon! My parents hate helping me with Jeep mods. My dad says i'm ruining a brand new car hahahaha
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonG
Cut your stock fenders to make em flat. easy job and free All you need is a dremel. I drilled through the plastic rivets and the inner fender popped right out. I left the fenders on and made the cut as well.

Run 35's.... especially on a 2door..... You'll have tons of clearance and like everyone has said, CRWL, TRAIL, DRIVE SLOW Shit last a lot longer with this mentality. And if you wanna beef up the front axle now by the RCV's from Northrigde.. Lifetime garuantee

Whatever you do just be stolked your 17 with a JK You don't know how lucky you really are. I didn't even have a car at 17. And my first was a 1980 chevy citation and it was 1991 Google that car for laughs..........
That was my first car too!! I had styling white hubcaps with it!! Anyways, I agree with everyone here. Take the build slowly and maximize with 35" instead of 37"
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yafoz77

"C gussets" are basically peices of steel welded, hmmm..

You can do the same with the Dana 30 you have.

and to all the people asking about my budget, i want to TRY to keep it below $4000, but if it gets up to $5000, i'd rather do it right the first time.

i think yall have persuaded me to go with 35's for now. i guess i can still be rollin like a big shot. haha! and hopefully that will keep the wallet a little heavier (for now)

so, now i'd say i'm feeling

TF 2.5 lift (would you suggest the BB, i.e. spacers and shock extensions, or the one with new shocks and spacers, or new springs and extensions, or new shocks and new springs)
35's some type of mud terrain. i'm liking interco tires cause they have tons of choices and are easy on the bank. i'd love some nitto mud grapplers but that just aint in the budget right now.) maybe some SS iroks, or SSR radials. any feedback on these? or any budget friendly suggestions, for good mud tires, but nothing that sounds roars at me. haha
4.88's or 4.56 gears i say 4.88's cause she is still my DD and is only wheeled lightly on weekends. and i'm sure once i start college it will drop even less (but hopefully not.) i would love to bump up my MPG a tad bit (feedback on this?)
beef up the D30 still for 35's?

that covers the suspension aspects of my build i think. i'm sure i forgot something. lol. throw a smitty xrc rear bumper/tire carrier in that bunch to haul that big ole 35. (i'm set on smitty xrc front and rear. you cant talk me out of it. i'm also set on my flat fenders)

once again, thank you guys SO SO SO much for your input!
keep the feedback comin!

Last edited by armycop; 05-18-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Age doesn't have much to do with budget. I'm almost 40 and still don't have any money for mods!

I understand wanting to do as much as possible at the same time, but seriously, watch this site and other places for parts to come up for sale. No sense in wasting money on brand new parts if you can lightly used for substantially less. It just takes some patience and willingness to work on the project as parts come available. But in the end, you'll probably spend half as much money, or get twice as much for what your were originally going to spend. As my wife's grandmother used to say, "better to have $20 in my pocket than $20 in theirs".

And take the advice of others here seriously. Most of these guys have been there, done that. They know what works and what doesn't. And 37's on a 2 door just seems like overkill. Think suspension and driveline stress, for what? Looks? Hope you got a fat wallet to support that cool look.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Its tite we got some more young guns like me on this thread and some of us may have more experience than these older guys. I wheel with some of them

But countrydude, dude, do me a favor and look up this thing called ACOS Pro by JKS it'll save that wallet of yours some cash and you'll get some sweetass lift from such a little spacer. Many people don;t know about this, but if you go with a 2in lift, with the ACOS Pro which i think is a bang for your buck, you can turn that 2in lift into 5in lift later down the road. Just an opinion though. And check out my build. You may be able to do this if you work hard enough and wait a year. I know it's tempting to buy now, but check out my link. BELOW
Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump

hey guys. still just a few unanswered questions i have for you

1. for gears and all that, what all do you need? not really going into specifics yet, but, you know. the main stuff.

i know you've gotta have these, for the front and rear.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_95X_C_PG.htm

but what about things like this.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52419_807.htm

anything else you need? like i said, i dont know much about regearing and all that.

2. axle shafts. how do they help? what is provided by upgrading. what are the good brands.

thanks!! yall have been such a big help!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey dude
I'm nearly 20, so I guess I can still comment as a teenager..
From personal experience a stock JK already pulls enough chicks..
But if you wanna roll with 37's there some things you need to do first.
Firstly...
Beef up your axles! Dependin on how much cash you have, either beef up your stockers or get some Dynatracs..
Then lift the Jeep. Make sure you get a kit with everything. Trackbars, CA's, the works. Suspension is one of the hardest working components in any vehicle so you gotta do it proper. 4" or more will do the trick in that department.
Then you gotta change your ratios. 5.13 oughta set you straight.
Then driveshafts need to be replaced with that lift height. Especially on a 2door.
Then get yourself some wheels with the right backspacing.
You gonna need a tire carrier for those big shoes.
And then to put the cherry on top, get yourself an AEV Procal to correct and calibrate all the electronics..

Just remember, those big tires chow a lot of power. So your already slow Jeep is gonna be even slower. And chicks don't dig slow cars. So maybe slam in a chip or something to compensate for the new weight of the big wheels. Or just slam in a Hemi.. That'll turn some heads for sure..

Anyway, that's what I think..

Happy wheelin!

Quick Reply: A Teenager Needs Help With His Build!