Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Technical Question *Sway Bar Links*

Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Question *Sway Bar Links*

My question for all the GURU's... I have an OME lift on my JK It has given me around 4" of lift. The kit does not come with Sway Bar links although I have ordered a TF set. Why do I need it or do I even need it? What is the benefit... more articulation?

Thanx Guys!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crossbones
My question for all the GURU's... I have an OME lift on my JK It has given me around 4" of lift. The kit does not come with Sway Bar links although I have ordered a TF set. Why do I need it or do I even need it? What is the benefit... more articulation?

Thanx Guys!
Yes you need them, your sway bar should sit at about level when the jeep is parked. too short of links will cause you downward droop to be limited severly. it will really inhibit your offroading ability and possibly affect onroad handling characteristics.... is it unsafe? no, but you should definately have the proper length links. Oh yeah, one more thing, too short of links will cause them to bend backwards at full droop and actually fold over the tie rod and bend and break.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
Yes you need them, your sway bar should sit at about level when the jeep is parked. too short of links will cause you downward droop to be limited severly. it will really inhibit your offroading ability and possibly affect onroad handling characteristics.... is it unsafe? no, but you should definately have the proper length links. Oh yeah, one more thing, too short of links will cause them to bend backwards at full droop and actually fold over the tie rod and bend and break.
I figured it would affect offroad performance but too know that it may affect on road performance might be scary... could this cause bumpsteer?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The OME kit gave you 4" of lift? Do you have the HD springs with no bumpers?

David
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
The OME kit gave you 4" of lift? Do you have the HD springs with no bumpers?

David
Yes, that is correct... no bumpers...yet
Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crossbones
I figured it would affect offroad performance but too know that it may affect on road performance might be scary... could this cause bumpsteer?
no they wont cause bumpsteer... if you're getting bumpsteer (meaning the wheel actually jerks in your hand when you hit a bump and the suspension travels) it means that you're drag link and trac bar aren't the same length and at the same angle. I'm not familiar with the OME lift, if it came with a new adjustable trac bar then i'm not sure whats causing your problem, but if it came with a front trac bar bracket and not a new dropped pitman arm, thats your problem. if it really raised up your front end 4 inches, you should install an adjustable trac bar up front and it should take care of your bumpsteer. Check with David and Northridge 4x4 about getting an adj. trac bar... everyone's has nothing but good things to say about him and his service, good luck
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yellowjeeper85
no they wont cause bumpsteer... if you're getting bumpsteer (meaning the wheel actually jerks in your hand when you hit a bump and the suspension travels) it means that you're drag link and trac bar aren't the same length and at the same angle. I'm not familiar with the OME lift, if it came with a new adjustable trac bar then i'm not sure whats causing your problem, but if it came with a front trac bar bracket and not a new dropped pitman arm, thats your problem. if it really raised up your front end 4 inches, you should install an adjustable trac bar up front and it should take care of your bumpsteer. Check with David and Northridge 4x4 about getting an adj. trac bar... everyone's has nothing but good things to say about him and his service, good luck
I have adj track bars front and back...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

We are working on putting a kit together using the OME HD springs and swaybar links , Break lines ect. It seems alot of poeple are wanting to run the HD springs with no bumpers for the additional lift.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
We are working on putting a kit together using the OME HD springs and swaybar links , Break lines ect. It seems alot of poeple are wanting to run the HD springs with no bumpers for the additional lift.
If I don't get to add bumpers..say never will it still settle some? or will I be stuck with 4"?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

If I don't get to add bumpers..say never will it still settle some? or will I be stuck with 4"?
Cant say for sure I am suprised you got 4" out of it. Does it sit level?

David

Quick Reply: Technical Question *Sway Bar Links*