Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??

Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed my 2.5 BB over weekend with wheel spacers. So far so good. Love the way the Jeep looks now. Just need bigger tires.
I'll keep you all posted if I run into any problems. Hopefully not though.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by devildogchoppers
I just bought the same Teraflex 2.5 BB kit and installed in two weeks ago myself. I have found no rubbing issues at that I can feel, hear, or see. The problem I am having is on left turns while hitting a bump. I get a thunk knocking sound like something is hitting something. I can clearly hear it is from the passanger front area. Everything is tight! I can't figure it out. Keep thinking its a bad shock flexing wrong, or maybe the track bar. I am totally clueless and no one locally seems to be able to help. Other than that, the kit is smooth and works great both on and off road! Minus my crappy stock shocks, it was a great decision. The sway bar links are close in the back, but it seems that there is no rubbing that I can see. I too want spacers, but so far until I change tire size I am not worried about it.

Hope I can get feedback on my issue that stems from the same cause. Left turn bump causing concern.
Check to see if your bump stops are on the right way, I had mine on backwards and everytime I hit a bump my passenger side rear bump stop was hitting a bolt. Turned it around, and no probelms since. Also watch your rear brake lines, been seeing a lot of rubbing on the metal.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RAINSTATEBEAR
Check to see if your bump stops are on the right way, I had mine on backwards and everytime I hit a bump my passenger side rear bump stop was hitting a bolt. Turned it around, and no probelms since. Also watch your rear brake lines, been seeing a lot of rubbing on the metal.
Thanks for the reply about this issue. It is coming fromt he passanger front, not the rear. Only on left turns with a bump. Suspension seems to have to flex pretty good while turning left in order to get the clank. So lost. This is my first Wrangler. I am more of an expert is two wheel toys or high end race car suspension. Honestly, this is my first lift. I am used to lowering cars to race them and have more than mastered that art of suspension, this lift thing is like a whole new world! I give huge props to all of you guys on this Jeep thing. It sure is fun, but I feel like a child. LOL
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply about this issue. It is coming fromt he passanger front, not the rear. Only on left turns with a bump. Suspension seems to have to flex pretty good while turning left in order to get the clank. So lost. This is my first Wrangler. I am more of an expert is two wheel toys or high end race car suspension. Honestly, this is my first lift. I am used to lowering cars to race them and have more than mastered that art of suspension, this lift thing is like a whole new world! I give huge props to all of you guys on this Jeep thing. It sure is fun, but I feel like a child. LOL
I feel the same way, but they all started as we did. From what I can tell, there are a lot of experienced folks here that will help you get it figured out.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
JK Freak

Default Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??

Check your shock nuts, I was hearing a squeak and a little thud that kept getting louder after about 3k, checked the shocks and sure enough the nuts were coming loose, re-torqued them and bing bang boom no more prob with noise.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I will recheck those well. I am gonna buy new shocks soon anyway, so I think that plan works right in line with timing! Appreciate everyones input and help on this.

Now... Any shock recommendations. With the race cars I use Bilstein stuff, and Ohlins with the bikes. Bilstien still a good shock on the JK's? Or for around same cost is there something better?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Default lex 2.5 BB lift issue??

Any update on your problem?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the race cars I use Bilstein stuff, and Ohlins with the bikes. Bilstien still a good shock on the JK's? Or for around same cost is there something better?
Same here. With my cars I always went with Bilsteins. Awesome shocks with a lifetime warranty (do the off-road JK shocks have that? I haven't checked...). That's probably what I'll end up getting for the Jeep as well. A lot of people like the TeraFlex shocks, too, and I think they're a bit cheaper, so that's a possibility as well.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I found out what was rubbing and found several other issues.

1. The rubbing sound which I swore was the front was in the rear. The top bolt on the sway link is rubbing on the back of the rim. So I assume that's why you need spacers or wheels with 4.5 offset.

Will that offset be enough with 17 inch rims and a lower tire inflation?

2. With the new sway links the rear sway bar is now level instead of a slight downward lean. I thought they should have the lean. The front sway bar actually leans up now. It's almost like I got sway links for 4 inch lift.

3.With the new brake line extensions, the lines are almost too long and bend so much that they rub against the shock.

I will be putting on 17 inch wheels and 33 tires, can I just keep my stock sway links instead of using the new one? Is there any down side of doing this? I have an 07 sahara.

Thanks

Last edited by Fluid72; 10-01-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??