Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??

Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??

I installed the lift two weeks ago and now when I make slowly make a left turn onto a street with a little bump I can hear like a rubbing sound coming from the front right side. I looked and can see nothing even close to rubbing and no marks on the tire. I still have the original 18" wheels with stock tires.

thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid72
I installed the lift two weeks ago and now when I make slowly make a left turn onto a street with a little bump I can hear like a rubbing sound coming from the front right side. I looked and can see nothing even close to rubbing and no marks on the tire. I still have the original 18" wheels with stock tires.

thanks
You need to run wheelspacers with that kit. Check your swaybar links, betting those are rubbing.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

As a question to Teralfex, I was told through Quadratec that the need of wheel spacers was ONLY for when one upgrades their tires to something larger than stock tires. Is this not true? I have this same package on order...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by DKJeep17
As a question to Teralfex, I was told through Quadratec that the need of wheel spacers was ONLY for when one upgrades their tires to something larger than stock tires. Is this not true? I have this same package on order...
Not true. Wheelspacers are needed because with the longer rear swaybar links installed, they can rub agains the edge of the wheel/tire. So a customer needs to either use wheelspacers or new wheels with 4.5" or less backspacing. Now I know there's been several forum members here that left the factory links installed for better clearance, then installed the new links when the new wheels were installed.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, okay - well good to know. That sucks though, I got the wrong information... Thanks Teraflex though for clearing that up! (I don't mean that sarcastically, good to know!)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Now I know there's been several forum members here that left the factory links installed for better clearance, then installed the new links when the new wheels were installed.
Is that something that is okay and suggested from you, Teraflex? That's a component in the BB kit that should just be left the same and will be okay to keep stock 31" tires? As I said, I have the kit on order and so I want to be sure I have all the necessary parts required.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

You could do this, however: The stock rear swaybar links might become inverted if you flex more than stock. I would not worry about day to day driving just keep it in mind when your on the trail.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the Teraflex leveling kit on my JK and noticed some rubbing too! I looked and looked and could not find where it was rubbing for the life of me. When I put wheel spacers on my Jeep i saw that the brake line where the metal line from the frame connects to the rubber hose had some wear on the giant rubber collar. Check yours to see if it might be occurring with the 2.5 BB as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

I will check for the rubbing on the line. I just wish I new I would also need spacers even with the stock setup.

I will not be going off road until I get spacers. Do you guys think it's ok for everyday street travel for now?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought the same Teraflex 2.5 BB kit and installed in two weeks ago myself. I have found no rubbing issues at that I can feel, hear, or see. The problem I am having is on left turns while hitting a bump. I get a thunk knocking sound like something is hitting something. I can clearly hear it is from the passanger front area. Everything is tight! I can't figure it out. Keep thinking its a bad shock flexing wrong, or maybe the track bar. I am totally clueless and no one locally seems to be able to help. Other than that, the kit is smooth and works great both on and off road! Minus my crappy stock shocks, it was a great decision. The sway bar links are close in the back, but it seems that there is no rubbing that I can see. I too want spacers, but so far until I change tire size I am not worried about it.

Hope I can get feedback on my issue that stems from the same cause. Left turn bump causing concern.

Quick Reply: Taraflex 2.5 BB lift issue??