Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tansmission woes

Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tansmission woes

Hi everyone,
I have a 2009 4dr Saharah w/ automatic transmission.
I was in the OBX a week ago and the trans light "HOT OIL" came on. (I do have an aftermarket trans cooler installed). I stopped and let it cool for about 30 min and played in the surf with the family. No more problems during the whole trip.

Went out to go to the store last night and the JK wouldn't move. Its starts, I can physically move the shifter to the Reverse, Drive or 2nd and 1st gear. I can hear a click under the jeep when I move from Park to Reverse or Drive. When I touch the gas, the engine sounds like its under a load. I can jack up the rear but they don't spin when in Drive or Reverse. I can put the jeep TC in Neutral and the Trans in Neutral and can move the jeep. However, when in 2Hi, 4Hi or 4Lo, and put the trans in Neutral, it cannot be rolled.

Any ideas?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I, too have a 2009 JKU and overheated the transmission at OBX last summer. Had it in High Range. Won't do that again. Lo Range on the sand from now on. We were doing some relentless spinning up one of the beach humps, and went into High Temp mode. It cooled down and had no after effects.

Hope you find out what's going on with yours. Does the transmission fluid look/smell burnt?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default transmission woes

Well, I took the pan of the trans and found needle bearings and misc. pieces and parts. Anyone know of a good used automatic trans for a JK?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check with the LS/Hemi conversion shops. They sometimes have them available after a swap.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the exact same symptoms you had, and it turned out to be a shattered tranny input shaft... All from a few donuts in a mud hole. I hate those trannys, but couldnt find a better alternative. I ended up just getting the tranny rebuilt at AAMCO.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Tansmission woes