Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tallest tire without lift

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so with a BodyLift, 33x12.5 shouldnt be an issue....
My dealer says you can fit a 32x10.5 on a stock X.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default No lift and flat tops

Originally Posted by Josephus
Somewhere on this forum I saw a picture of a JK with Zenon flat fenders and 36 inch tires. Claims no rubbing or clearance issues (hard to beleive) and the lower Center of Gravity was a good look.

I too want to go as wide as possible, and taller too - without a lift. I'm pretty sure it will involve the sawzall and some Zenon's. Maybe AEV will make a "JK Highline" kit like they did for the TJ?
Josephus, any idea where this Thread is? I'd love to check it out. I've searched through and can't find it. About when was it and do you remember the Thread name?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are putting flat fenders on, I would go with a 33. I have the BFG KM 2's on mine with a 2.5 BB and love them. The tires are 285/70/17's, so 33x11.22. If you are going to keep the stock fenders, I would go with a 32 so you don't rub when flexing it out.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Look here FAQ
thank you I didn't even think about faq's .
Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GlennH
so with a BodyLift, 33x12.5 shouldnt be an issue....
My dealer says you can fit a 32x10.5 on a stock X.

Your dealer is correct, they COME with that size.

You can go to 33's w/o any mods, 33's only protrude another 1/2"...upto about 285's (11.5's) w/o any wheel spacers or rims with less bs.

Some people need to adjust the turn stop bolts out (Yes, you simply put a washer or two, and not necessarily the same on both sides....you turn lock to lock, and see what's needed, if anything. That tricks been in use as long as I can remember.)

A 1" BL makes room for another 2" of tire diameter to stuff, so if 33's fit stock, 35's can stuff with a 1" BL.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I have over a half inch before anything rubs on my stock height unlimited(Lift coming soon). 305/70R16 ProComp x-terrains on 16X8 Craggar 5" backspacing. If I had known I would have bought the 315's. Oh well... that would hurried the gear change.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
I have over a half inch before anything rubs on my stock height unlimited(Lift coming soon). 305/70R16 ProComp x-terrains on 16X8 Craggar 5" backspacing. If I had known I would have bought the 315's. Oh well... that would hurried the gear change.

Based on what TexsDream says he is running then I should be fine with what I am fixing to do. I just ordered a set of Pro Comp Series 7289 size 16x8 and plan on putting on 305/70/16 Firestone Destination MTs . The wheels have 4.5" backspacing so I should be fine with no lift, at least on the street. Does this seem correct? I will be getting a 2.5 BB, but it may not be at the same time I get my tires put on.
Anyone know if there are any problems hitting the front bumper when turning with a 12.5" wide tire and no lift????
Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

At full flex my rear wheels will rub slightly on the fender flare... but the jeep was twisted to the point where one wheel was over a foot off the ground. Just noticed this a couple days ago. Still no lift yet. (Rear springs came in today... backorder still on the rest untill mid April) I have the 5" backspacing on the wheels. If you go with 4.5" your tire will be outboard 1/2 and inch.. so you may get a little more rub at full flex.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
At full flex my rear wheels will rub slightly on the fender flare... but the jeep was twisted to the point where one wheel was over a foot off the ground. Just noticed this a couple days ago. Still no lift yet. (Rear springs came in today... backorder still on the rest untill mid April) I have the 5" backspacing on the wheels. If you go with 4.5" your tire will be outboard 1/2 and inch.. so you may get a little more rub at full flex.
Thanks for the info. I doubt I'll be doin much until I get the lift other than playin in a little mud. By the time I'm able to get my tires I may have enough for the lift as well. Just have to wait & see.

Quick Reply: tallest tire without lift