Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Talk to me about lifts...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
NotoriousSEG

Default Talk to me about lifts...

And before the inevitable "search is your friend" comments start flying, just know that I am starting from zero, and want to know some specific things.

THE BACK STORY:

I want my Jeep for occasional forays into some light trails, beach and maybe desert but no really heavy duty crawling. It will be a daily driver and spend 80% of it's time on pavement. I like the idea of a lift mostly for cosmetic reasons. Mildly lifted Jeeps with slightly larger tires just "sit right" in my eye. I'm not talking about a 7" lift with 37" tires here.

That being said, here are some questions:

1. Are lifts ultimately safe? Safe for daily driving, highway use, etc.

2. Will a lift void my warranty?

3. If I install an aftermarket bumper, like an ARB, do I "need " a lift to alleviate sag?

4. If I install a mild lift, say 3" or so, will I need to do any further drivetrain modifications so as not to stress the various affected components?

5. What is this death wobble I have heard of?

i know if I get my Rubi--or any new Jeep for that matter--it will do what I need it to do right out of the box, but you know how mod-fever is. Could I fit slightly larger tires and make the Jeep look right and then forego a lift altogether?

Any (constructive) input is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. My jeep drives and handles better after lift, I think its safe.
2. Yes, if the lift or larger tires are part of the problem. If your windshield wipers stop working, you are okay. Dealerships vary greatly on what they are willing to do. Talk to your local Jeep service department and see how they feel.
3. Maybe, my jeep started life with a little sag anyway. You could always add a spacer lift if needed. Many aftermarket lifts take extra weight up front into account.
4. I don't think so, especially if you don't plan on flexing your suspension much.
5. I'm not sure, but maybe driveline vibration, I haven't had death wobble, thank God.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NotoriousSEG
And before the inevitable "search is your friend" comments start flying, just know that I am starting from zero, and want to know some specific things.

THE BACK STORY:

I want my Jeep for occasional forays into some light trails, beach and maybe desert but no really heavy duty crawling. It will be a daily driver and spend 80% of it's time on pavement. I like the idea of a lift mostly for cosmetic reasons. Mildly lifted Jeeps with slightly larger tires just "sit right" in my eye. I'm not talking about a 7" lift with 37" tires here.

3. If I install an aftermarket bumper, like an ARB, do I "need " a lift to alleviate sag?

4. If I install a mild lift, say 3" or so, will I need to do any further drivetrain modifications so as not to stress the various affected components?

i know if I get my Rubi--or any new Jeep for that matter--it will do what I need it to do right out of the box, but you know how mod-fever is. Could I fit slightly larger tires and make the Jeep look right and then forego a lift altogether?

I hate to break it to you, but your post is a bit contradictory. You're clearly aware of search capabilities, and even of the fact that posting specific requests without searching first is typically frowned upon--but then you go right ahead and do it anyway... I don't know, seems a bit odd.

As for your questions, I can't be of too much help, as I'm a newcomer as well (this is my first post), but I will take a stab at it.

"Are lifts ultimately safe?": If properly installed and maintained, they should be perfectly safe. Of course, there are always limitations to be aware of. If your rig is sitting 7" higher than stock, and you've barely increased wheel size, your tipping potential will definitely increase, it's just physics. Anyway, I'm sure that's not what you had in mind anyway. Most people getting lifts also increase their tire size in a roughly proportional manner. (See the FAQ sticky for specific tire sizes and lifts required to run them.)

"Will a lift void my warranty?": Not in most cases, unless you develop problems in the future that your dealer deems associated with the lift specifically.
Examples:
-You get a 2" Body lift and something goes wrong with the suspension at a later date. I'd think this wouldn't void your warranty as your body lift probably has nothing to do with the suspension system.
-You get a 4" suspension lift, put 37s on your feet and one day out on the trail, your Dana 30 breaks. (Unless you've got a rubi) This definitely voids the warranty. That axle wouldn't have been overstressed if not for those big ol' 37s.

One way you might proceed upgrading with caution would be to have your dealer install all modifications you want.

"If I install an aftermarket bumper, like an ARB, do I "need " a lift to alleviate sag?": Well, it'll likely depend on the bumper, but I'd kind of doubt that it would way you down noticeably. Now, if we're talking winches, then yeah, you're probably gonna need a little boost. I think there's a cheap way to do that though--I think you can get like 1" spring caps or something along those lines (my terminology is probably inaccurate.)

"If I install a mild lift, say 3" or so, will I need to do any further drivetrain modifications so as not to stress the various affected components?": I'm gonna say no, but I'd do some more research if I were you. Though, I'm think that if you installed a complete 3" suspension lift kit from a reputable manufacturer, you'll probably be fine without doing anything else. (Though it all depends on the tires you're trying to run as well.)

"What is this death wobble I have heard of?": Spend 30 seconds scanning the forum and you'll figure it out. Sorry, it's late and I've gotta crash.

Hope I could be of at least some help, but like I said, I'm new here too. But for the record, everything I've said is based of my reading of this forum. Everything you'll ever need to know about these beasts is literally right here. Good hunting.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
***erator

I'm just gonna focus on the question about drivetrain mods. For your type of wheelin the only thing you should have to worry about is regearing. The only reason I suggest this is because you mention a 3" lift. With that lift you can fit 35" tires. At that point I would regear. Hope I helped.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

THE BACK STORY:

You don't mention whether you have a 2dr or 4r and auto or 6spd.

As said above, if installed correctly and tire size increased relative to lift height, then safety can actually increase. Yes, you'll be sitting higher, but likely have a wider track if your wheel (or spacer) selection is correct.

Long story short:

It can void the warranty if the dealer can directly relate part failure to the mod.

You might want to with with a spacer up front to lift it 3/4" or so if you're not going to lift it at the same time. If you're going to lift it at the same time, then most (I think) lifts lift the front more than the rear to accomodate the bumper/winch and to decrease the natural front rake.

Again, this answer can vary depending on your wheelbase (2dr/4dr) and tranny (auto/6spd).

If you have a 2dr and lift 3" (or more), then you're probably better off replacing that front (I think) driveshaft.

If you have a 4dr, then I don't think your driveshafts will be affected much until after the 4.5" point or so.

If you have an auto then you can get by with a body lift to accomodate larger tires with minimal problems, but if you have a 6spd and do a body lift, then you'll need to trim the shifter boot. -- not exactly a "drivetrain component", but worth pointing out.

You'll have to search a little for that, but death wobble can be caused by several things. Loose suspension parts, mud caked inside a wheel, etc. I can't expound too much on it 'cause I've only read about it, but you'll find a ton of info if you search (here or Google).

I think you can fit 33" tires w/o a lift if you don't plan on wheeling it much or hard, but search here and you'll find that out, too. There's a sticky in the Modified JK forum.

Good luck with your JK and tread lightly.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently went and talked to our local jeep service advisor about adding a lift, and he was real helpful. he spent like a half hour talking to me about lifts and everything else associated with lifts. We walked around to the new JKs that the dealership went and put aftermarket lifts on. Go to your local dealership and talk to their "lift expert". All of the service advisors and mechanics have Jeeps. If they don't, run away. I was very enlightened. Basically, if your lift is the direct cause of any wear or tear then Jeep will NOT warranty this. The advisor did tell me that 2.5" lifts are the ideal lift because it doesn't change "angles" as dramatic which can cause wear and tear more routinely. Of course, Mopar now makes a 6" lift, which is fully waranteed, but it is like $5k. I decided to go with a TF BB 2.5" after talking to them. Good Luck
Old 07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I have a 2.5" RC BB. The problem with BB is it does little to compensate for the changes it makes to steering geometry. The thing I notice is that the steering wheel no longer snaps to center like it used to. It will take adjustable control arms and a camber adjustment to correct this. Is it unsafe? No, it just feels a little less sharp on center. As for potential rollover from being higher: Usually not an issue if you put different wheels that give the JK a wider stance.

As others have said, not unless the dealer says it caused the problem (say, you install a 2.5" BB and you end up tearing up a tire wheeling it hard with 33s on the stock wheels--you need some more backspacing on the wheels to make certain that doesn't happen. Plenty of info in the forum about this). Also, if you're really concerned about the warranty, check into one of the Mopar lift kits. Have your dealer install it. You should be just fine, I would think.

My experience: After my lift, which is 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear, there was a noticeable reverse rake. After adding a Shrockworks mid-width and a Warn PowerPlant, the JK sits perfectly level. YMMV, but if the rake is unsatisfactory to you, you can compensate with spacers.

See my answer above. There are also other issues relative to the tire size. Larger tires will stress drivetrain components. Rubicon owners are better set to not have problems because they have a D44 on both axles. But, even with that, some folks who wheel have experienced drivetrain failures. Most have not. Also, some folks who have done few mod's have had drivetrain failures. You can get the best feel for this by skulking around the forum.

5. What is this death wobble I have heard of
I have not experienced it. Try starting here.

Quick Reply: Talk to me about lifts...