Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

taking mods off before trade in?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking mods off before trade in?

Hello all,

I have decided to trade in my '13 2 door sahara for a '14 4 door sport s. I have some mods on my jeep, nothing ridiculous. in particular, I would like to keep my wheels and tires (jeep aev savegre wheels, stock rubi tires) and to sell my ace side steps, but I stupidly went in for the appraisal with them on. my '14 won't be ready for 6-8 weeks. it also has a lift on it but I won't be able to use that anyways.

has anyone done this and then taken the mods off and replaced with stock parts? do jeep dealerships usually strip mods off anyways?

thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I just traded my 07 in on a 13. They let me take the 13 home to swap the bumpers, wheels, and tires. I took the stuff off the new one and put it on the 07. Removing the upgrades will effect the value, but in my case the amount they would give me for the 07 with upgrades was not enough difference to justify leaving them on.

They initial wanted to do the parts swap in their shop and charge almost as much as the bumpers cost me, lol. Umm no...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I asked my local dealer down here on the Cape and they said they would swap the new parts from 13 or 14 to my 10 and all my mods to the one on my dime. They even offered to give me the new jeep for a few days if I wanted to do it myself! They don't strip the mods, they sell it as it was traded in.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note that every dealer is a little different. If your dealer appraised the trade with the mods on, you should definitely communicate with them before taking the mods off. My guess is they will be fine if you do.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Every dealer is different and every deal is different. Most dealers don't want or won't pay for all the mods. I had a 2012 Sahara and traded it on a 2013 Rubicon. I moved the lift, tires,wheels and bumpers over a weekend. Someone got a Sahara with new Rubicon wheels, tires, shocks and springs. Hope they appreciated them.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

You would be crazy to let the AEV wheels and tires go. Find a cheap set of take offs or just tell the dealer to do the swap. It is easy to pull your lift, I know from your other posts you have a TF performance leveler kit. It is an easy 3 hour job to swap out your stock stuff back in. I know someone in the want ads was looking to buy one so you could make a few dollars there.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell your old jeep locally you will get more money
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I called the dealership. I don't like being dishonest.

They said they wanted it exactly how they saw it (they also know about the lift). SO looks like there's no salvaging unfortunately. I will be going from a completely modded 2 door to a stock 4 door for a while. Oh well
Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

I didn't see anyone comment on wether or not did the dealer pay you more on your trade in because of the mods etc?

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

When I was looking to trade mine in on a 13 they wanted the bumpers, lights, rock rails, wheels, and alarm system. They offered to let me keep my radio and winch if I could find a stock radio to put back in it.

Your mods have to be tasteful and appeal to the majority of people, not specifically the folks like us who are on the forums and actively involved in the hobby.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: taking mods off before trade in?