Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Taking her in tomorrow

Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking her in tomorrow

Allright guys, I put my lift on myself, and tomorrow I am going to take it in to have someone (who actually knows what they are doing) do the alignment, and rebalance the tires because I am getting a slight vibe at 55mph. I think I did a pretty good job initially, but want to put it up on the rack and see where I am at. My drive is close to stock, but I have some "flightiness to it". Based on my best guess, my castor is at ~6-7 degrees. What castor angle should I have them target, toe in degree?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you're guess is high on the caster. As you lift the Jeep, caster decreases. The 6-7 degree figure you mention would be a good area to be. A lot of Jeeps drive good with less.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Allright guys, I put my lift on myself, and tomorrow I am going to take it in to have someone (who actually knows what they are doing) do the alignment, and rebalance the tires because I am getting a slight vibe at 55mph. I think I did a pretty good job initially, but want to put it up on the rack and see where I am at. My drive is close to stock, but I have some "flightiness to it". Based on my best guess, my castor is at ~6-7 degrees. What castor angle should I have them target, toe in degree?
I have about 3 degrees on my caster with my 4", 4-5 would be better for yours.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I think you're guess is high on the caster. As you lift the Jeep, caster decreases. The 6-7 degree figure you mention would be a good area to be. A lot of Jeeps drive good with less.
I think you are right Redneckjeep, I am still a little flighty on the steering. I heard that with the increase in castor to around 7-8 it feels pretty "hard", and I do not feel anything like that.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I have about 3 degrees on my caster with my 4", 4-5 would be better for yours.
I will let them know that tomorrow. Thanks Joe.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you got an angle finder?

I'd be curious to know the before and after numbers on the finder vs the before and after on the machine.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Have you got an angle finder?

I'd be curious to know the before and after numbers on the finder vs the before and after on the machine.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
I do and will post once the aligment is completed.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my OME HD kit alligned 2 weeks ago. Enged up with 5.3° L/5.7° R and 0.125" total toe. Dives nices and no vibes. I statred with the LCAs at ~24" and that resulted in about 1.5° castor and it drove terrible. Much beter now
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mewaschuk
I just had my OME HD kit alligned 2 weeks ago. Enged up with 5.3° L/5.7° R and 0.125" total toe. Dives nices and no vibes. I statred with the LCAs at ~24" and that resulted in about 1.5° castor and it drove terrible. Much beter now
Wow, 1.5. Do you just have the LCA, on the front. I currently have my front LCA at 23.25. It does not drive terrible, I could probably live with it, just want to have it checked out.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
I have seen it before, but why is there different castor on each side? I am curious.
wouldn't the difference in caster between wheels contribute to a pulling effect to one side

Quick Reply: Taking her in tomorrow