Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tailgate slamming into you?

Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailgate slamming into you?

has anyone seen a way to keep the tailgate or liftgate from slamming into you when it is open? I see Omix has something for sale (6 months?) that is supposed to keep it open, but anyone got any solutions?

I am happy to put on what someone sells, but not handy enough to make my own. thanks

OMIX

LIFTGATE SUPPORT 2006-07 TJ JK

on
http://www.omix-ada.com/search.asp?parent=&itemIndex=161&criteria=jk#itemL ist

Last edited by gajeep; 03-01-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Please dont post direct non sponsor links.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Look here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/tailgate-shock-project-done-4622/
Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I saw that one, that is what made me note that I am happy to buy but not handy enough to make my own.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gajeep
I saw that one, that is what made me note that I am happy to buy but not handy enough to make my own.

"A good man's gotta know his limitations."
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Carry a short peice of 2x4 or 4x4 and wedge it in between the door and the body... Cut it big enough to wedge it in tight when the door is wide open so that the door doesn't get momentum and damage itself....
Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep329
Carry a short peice of 2x4 or 4x4 and wedge it in between the door and the body... Cut it big enough to wedge it in tight when the door is wide open so that the door doesn't get momentum and damage itself....

....yeah, and then watch in horror as someone tries to close the tailgate that doesn't know the hunk of wood is there. That's something a wife or girlfriend would do. Sorry gals, it just is.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Park up hill.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
....yeah, and then watch in horror as someone tries to close the tailgate that doesn't know the hunk of wood is there. That's something a wife or girlfriend would do. Sorry gals, it just is.
True...

That's when you have to remember to remove it as soon as you move.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thissideup
Park up hill.
Thats funny, I just realized thats what I do. Being a delivery driver I open the gate probaly 30 times a day. Works good and its free!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gajeep
has anyone seen a way to keep the tailgate or liftgate from slamming into you when it is open? I see Omix has something for sale (6 months?) that is supposed to keep it open, but anyone got any solutions?

I am happy to put on what someone sells, but not handy enough to make my own. thanks

OMIX

LIFTGATE SUPPORT 2006-07 TJ JK

on
http://www.omix-ada.com/search.asp?parent=&itemIndex=161&criteria=jk#itemL ist
I think that parts the window support, not a tailgate shock. There would have to be a whole kit for the tail gate. Are you willing to drill a couple holes if good instructions are provided? I've been thinking about offering this kit, but haven't made it a priority. If you're willing to install based on good instructions, I'll move it up on the list. FYI, I don't have any price details yet. Let me know what you think and if it's a go, I'll get pricing details this week.

Quick Reply: tailgate slamming into you?