Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate rattle

Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
Sea bass- yes and no, at the end of the day he's still got a massive amount of weight sitting on the end of the gate. The rubber nubbers don't reduce the load. I had a very low backspaced wheel and tire combo hanging off of my gate for 3 years without any squeaks except once where someone attempted to steal my spare (loose lug nuts).
IDK if I agree. Jeep put them on there to use with their lighter spare that fits a lot more snug to the tailgate for a reason. You put a heavier wheel on the back, that now sticks further off the tailgate - that's a heck of a lot more leverage and stress on your mount. Bump stops will help distribute the stress and reduce the flexing and chance of rattling or causing cracks in your mount or tailgate.

Cut some pvc to fit, install golf balls, buy daystars...there's a ton of DIY extended stop threads on the net. That would be my recommendation once you've inspected your mount and tailgate for fatigue or stress cracks.

Last edited by sea bass; 01-12-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sea bass
IDK if I agree. Jeep put them on there to use with their lighter spare that fits a lot more snug to the tailgate for a reason. You put a heavier wheel on the back, that now sticks further off the tailgate - that's a heck of a lot more leverage and stress on your mount. Bump stops will help distribute the stress and reduce the flexing and chance of rattling or causing cracks in your mount or tailgate. Cut some pvc to fit, install golf balls, buy daystars...there's a ton of DIY extended stop threads on the net. That would be my recommendation once you've inspected your mount and tailgate for fatigue or stress cracks.
im considering the daystar but idk if they will fit i have a rim with -24 offset soo idk
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I know you said it was your daily driver when someone suggested putting it in the back of your Jeep... for or a short while, couldn't you get by with your rear seat folded up and the tire behind the back seat? or even remove back seat? I'm sure it's not that common, I've never kept the back seat in any of my wranglers, comes out as soon as I get it home from dealer goes back in after I've squeezed all the fun and close calls I can out of it and it's time for a new one... I know their expensive but it's probably cheaper than replacing the whole tailgate after it falls off, I have the Ace rear bumper/tire carrier and it's great, just opens and closes with the tailgate, no extra step or latch. matthew
I have an unlimited idk if I can remove the back seat
Old 01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 33 will lay flat behind the back seat with the seat up.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jk-Jared
im considering the daystar but idk if they will fit i have a rim with -24 offset soo idk
Someone used cut to fit rubber tubes (radiator?) that fit inside the stock rubber bumpers instead of Daystars. Assume you inspected tire carrier for cracks and it's good.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Someone used cut to fit rubber tubes (radiator?) that fit inside the stock rubber bumpers instead of Daystars. Assume you inspected tire carrier for cracks and it's good.
its fine just got it all put on like 2 weeks ago before that I had a 27 inch tire
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jk-Jared
its fine just got it all put on like 2 weeks ago before that I had a 27 inch tire
Hopefully your tailgate welds are good. Start thinking about a carrier, you have a large selection to choose from.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Hopefully your tailgate welds are good. Start thinking about a carrier, you have a large selection to choose from.
if I get a carrier I'm going with poison spyder
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the SB oversize tire carrier because it was cheap and I needed it fast and it has worked out great and it holds my 35"MTR/K with no wiggles and that thing is heavy! Was gonna replace it when I replaced the bumper but gonna wait and do some other mods since it is working so well for now
Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED
I bought the SB oversize tire carrier because it was cheap and I needed it fast and it has worked out great and it holds my 35"MTR/K with no wiggles and that thing is heavy! Was gonna replace it when I replaced the bumper but gonna wait and do some other mods since it is working so well for now
found it with the an carrier it will still rattle because my rim has to much offset

Quick Reply: Tailgate rattle