Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tailgate rattle

Old 01-11-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sea bass
If it is your hinges, you can replace them with stronger, greaseable units. Be sure to check what everyone else is saying. Make sure your tire is tight against the rubber stops. http://www.oesales.com/JK%20GREASE-A...GATE%20PIN.htm
its not near the rubber stop rim has way to much offset
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
This. Not only do they crack but the spot welds on the tailgate fail easily
Likely this, after a short period of time the welds in the tailgate will separate which will weaken the tailgate and make noises.

As noted above, remove the spare until you have proper support. Either a hinge carrier or bumper w/ carrier. Contact us any time for forum pricing or if you have any questions.

I personally run the TeraFlex hinge carrier with adjustable mount. Rock solid with my 37" mud grappler on the back.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TF Hinge on my Jeep...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1484027253.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	522839  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
TF Hinge on my Jeep...
I love my Teraflex carrier and hinge. Solid built and quiet. Just ordered the accessory mount and a 48" hi lift x-treme jack.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did TF address the issue of cracked slider section of carrier with internal gussets? Not hating TF, after all, I'm running their 2.5" coil lift and control arms. But this was an issue when it was first released.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jk-Jared
its not near the rubber stop rim has way to much offset
That's an issue. You need extended stops and cut them to size so your tire compresses them when you install your lug nuts.
This is likely what has caused your rattling. Running without stops puts a tremendous amount of stress on your mount.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
That's interesting......I wonder if they provide any benefits. I've replaced a couple sets of hinges due to a lack of grease but it took a long time for the corrosion to build up to the point where they needed to be replaced. What does suck about that is they won't be easy to grease without a 90* elbow on your grease gun and a narrow nipple.
I installed these on my 08. Yeah, kind of a pain to grease but my original bushings were completely shot. Cured my rattling.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Sea bass- yes and no, at the end of the day he's still got a massive amount of weight sitting on the end of the gate. The rubber nubbers don't reduce the load. I had a very low backspaced wheel and tire combo hanging off of my gate for 3 years without any squeaks except once where someone attempted to steal my spare (loose lug nuts).
Old 01-11-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass

That's an issue. You need extended stops and cut them to size so your tire compresses them when you install your lug nuts.
This is likely what has caused your rattling. Running without stops puts a tremendous amount of stress on your mount.
True. If OP has popped the tailgate rivets, replacing the hinges will not solve the rattling.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jk-Jared
Recently moved up to a 33 inch tall tire and mounted it on the tailgate and every time i hit a bump in the road it rattles is there a cheap fix I don't have enough for a tire carrier at the moment...need help
I know you said it was your daily driver when someone suggested putting it in the back of your Jeep...

for or a short while, couldn't you get by with your rear seat folded up and the tire behind the back seat?

or even remove back seat? I'm sure it's not that common, I've never kept the back seat in any of my wranglers, comes out as soon as I get it home from dealer

goes back in after I've squeezed all the fun and close calls I can out of it and it's time for a new one...

I know their expensive but it's probably cheaper than replacing the whole tailgate after it falls off, I have the Ace rear bumper/tire carrier and it's great, just opens and closes with the tailgate, no extra step or latch.

matthew

Quick Reply: Tailgate rattle